Feeding surgeonfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SGT Henry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey...was just wondering if I could feed regular lettuce to juvenile surgeonfishes???...They have been eating alot from the rocks these days but are starting to depleet the algae growing on the live rocks...It would be nice to be able to just drop a lettuce clip in there and have them eat ok....how long would you leave the clip in there?? and do they like any specific type of lettuce?

I would use Romain lettuce or nori. I put a piece in there in the morning, and take it out in the evening. HTH

Mike

i just recently got a yt and he absolutely loves seawood i put in the tank, he eats it all and i dont even have anything to remove my clowns love it to

Adding raw veggies to your tank is risky. I would stick with seaweed strips or nori. Adding brocholli that has been blanched in hot water first is a better choice then lettuce.

Lettuce has no nutritional value to fish so IMO it is not a good idea... Just a filler, like feeding bread to ducks and geese.
Nori at the supermarket is great and is alot cheaper the the stuff the LFS sells. (IMO its the same sturff)
I feed a 3x2 piece every day for my 3 tangs as well as mysis shrimp.

I agree lettuce is just a waste of time. I feed about a 12"x12" sheet of nori daily. I sometimes put garlic or zoe on it and let it soak in before I put it in the tank. I have also fed broccoli that has been frozen (steve-s suggestion).

I would be careful of terrestrial plants being fed to saltwater specimen.

My Blue Hippo Tang LOOOVES Marine Flakes:

HG16226.jpg

It does not eat Nori even if served after Garlic Guard soaking.

It also loves to graze on algae. It especially likes a treat of frozen mysis or brime.

Back
Top Bottom