Feedings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have come to another confusing part of the aquarium life. I know fish need a variety of nutrition which comes from different types of food. My mother decided to bring me home a 5" gold headed sleeper goby. (I don't think the tank needed the extra bio-load yet, however have been checking and ammonia and nitrites are still 0. he looks quite amazing. I Currently I have Mysis shrimp, however he has dug himself a nice cover under my rock. Dug right from the front to back. I really don't know how much to feed, nor do I know how to feed him. He hasn't come out much at all, and when he does if you frighten him he runs right back into his hole. The shrimp comes in frozen cubes. Of course I don't want to over feed, however he hasn't eaten yet so I don't know how much to put in. I put in a portion of the cube the first time, and I also turned off my powerheads to stop it from blowing all over the tank and making a mess of it all. Should I be doing this? I guess I'm just needing a guide to go off of. Sadly enough.

He eats frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live black worms, and prepared foods for carnivores. It sounds like you never cycled your tank (or are doing it w/ fish).. Is that so?

The tank is cycled, and was done fishless. The LR had quite a bit of die-off, and I tested the water as it was cycling.

Edit: I guess I came across wrong. My question is not what they eat, but how much to feed and how exactly people feed them.

I have to shut off almost all of my powerheads and all (except my skimmer) in order for the food to not fly around the tank. The frozen foods come in small square pieces, do people usually cut those down?

Currently this guy is hiding to much for him to eat apparently. My mom (while I was at work) decided to place a small portion of the cube in the tank. Unfortunately she didn't know that it was going to fly all over lol. So I cleaned out most of it from the top of the water and what I could see when I got home. i'm sure my CuC loved it though.

I have an engineer goby wo had somewhat the same problem. he wouldnt eat frozen so id get tiger pods(they're big) some live brine and i actually left my power head on for a few minutes to push them around towards the bottom then i shut them off. I would also put them in the fornt of the tank so they would actually have to cycle all the way around the tank to get to the heads. Now he eats frozen and actually comes out when its feeding time. he is still skittish but he is alot more comfortable venturing out of his holes in the bottom of the tank

Well. My goby ate tonight. Some frozen shrimp, and one of my snails. I watched him try to eat one, but it was to big. then one snuck down into his cave, and he snatched him up. I cant tell if he truly ate him, however he put the whole snail in his mouth and went back in to his tunnel.

well thats a good sign, I didnt see my egineer goby for almost a week, I thought he died honestly but he was just getting used to the tank and now he knows there is no danger so he is alot more free around the tank, well glad to hear everything seems to be ok, you should post some pics of the tank. happy fishing!

I had one of these but lost it when I had a heater malfunction. It was my favourite. It would eat whatever was floating around, but it also took great care of the sand. It was always taking moutfuls of it to sift through its gills, keeping it nice and clean, and eating whatever had settled on it. It also picked around at the rocks, but spent most of it's time doing the sand sifting thing.

Gobies are fun to watch. I have two and they sift out the sand pretty good. I don't feed them anything spiecal. They get most of there food from sifting the sand.

Back
Top Bottom