Fighting Algea...Help Me Win!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im fed up with fighting this algea problem that has been goin on for months. Its mostly a green short hairy type that spreads over all my live rock, and the some darker black/brom diatom algea im assuming. I have had a 2x65 watt coralife fixture on there for only two months now, and that helped the algea grow i think. Right now i have a penguin biowheel 350 and a regent 170 running on the (29 gallon) tank so i have plenty of filteration. May i have to resort to chemical use to rid of algea? I saw a Marine-Clean algea remover in a docter foster&smith catalog thats suppose to be safe. I will post water parameters later today. Thanks.

Have you tried reducing the lighting cycle and feed less. I am having the same problem. I reduced my lighting from 10 to 8 hours and feeding every three days. I also repositioned my PHs to point at the algae. I have noticed a huge difference in the algae, it is actually not spreading as fast. I think the bio wheel might have an effect on the algea. I believe they tend to produce nitrates. I think if you can add more LR, you might be able to replace the bio wheel w/LR rubble or take it out completely. I'll let the more experienced add their advice.

I feed every other day, and for the past week i havent even turned my lights on, and if i do its only for about and hour or two. I just added two clowns and a blenny yesterday, so i would like to run them at least 6 hours now, but without the algea problem continuing.

Something is driving the algae. You may not register any nitrates or phosphates on your tests because the algae is soaking them up before they can get used. Your algae problem is a symptom of a much more serious problem, by using chemicals on the algae you would only be treating that symptom. first of all I would get rid of the HOB filters and get a good protein skimmer. Don't go cheap either, you will regret it if you do and just end up buying a better one. Simultaniously start an aggressive water change schedual. start changing 15-20% of the water every few days, while you are changing the water suck out as much algae as you can (a toothbrush rubberbanded to your siphon hose is awesome for this). Moniter your nitrates and phosphates. You will notice imense improvement after the first couple water changes. Keep up the same schedual for a few weeks and you will be saying "algae problem, what algae problem?" If your phosphate problem persists then you will have to figure out the source (most likely your water or food).

i think scottm has a good stratagy its what i did a good skimmer can go a long way you could keep the biowheel for water flow just take out the cartridges this is what i did whith my emperor biowheel

ScottM is right on the target with the skimmer. He was also right on about checking your food and water that you put in your tank. The skimmer is needed because it will remove DOC that will break down to the nutrients that fuel algea.

Back
Top Bottom