figuring out final fish load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
40gallon FOWLR - 2x96watt PC's - Prizm skimmer - soon to have live corals, and a hang on fuge for macro algae/pod growth.
currently I have
1 false percula - 1.5"
1 royal gramma - 1.5"

I also have 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails, and 6-7 hermit crabs. I have 1, if not 2 brittle stars (came on live rock, pretty sure I have 2).

I want to have soft corals and fish that live in harmony...and since i'm new...I need some help figuring out a few more fish that I can safely add.

the LFS is telling me that yellow tailed blue damsels aren't aggressive...but I've read that blue damsels are. When I look at photos of these 2 fish...they look the same. I'd love a splash or two of blue...so what's your take? Could I get away with 1 or 2 of these yellow tailed blue damsels...if I add them last?

I've also toyed with adding another (false) percula, small, to try to get a mated pair.

It sounds like blenny's and dottybacks are out of the question, as they'll compete for the same space as my gramma. True?

Lastly...i think flame hawkfishes are interesting, and I don't see anything in fish profiles saying they're that aggressive, or coral munchers.

feel free to toss out other fish ideas as well!

hawkfish are known to eat inverts such as shrimp and crabs, since you have a shrimp already i would rule out the hawk. but it is true that they are not really agressive and pretty much leave sedentary inverts like corals alone.

i also agree with ruling out blennys and dottybacks, esp dottybacks, as they can be agressive towards eachother and those with similar body shapes, ie your royal gramma.

i wouldnt go with the yellowtail blue damsels, because while i dont think they are as agressive as blue damsels (at least mine arent) they will probably interrupt that mated pair idea you have.

maybe some kind of goby would be nice in there once everything is quite established and you have a good population of copepods. they are really peaceful and i dont think ive ever heard them being a problem in a reef tank.

HTH

I am new, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt here.

I would forget the damsel Idea. If you want some blue, perhaps try a flameback angel. http://store.yahoo.com/marinedepotlive/324154.html

Very Pretty. And I would definatly get another perc. a neon goby would make a nice touch as well.

I am kinda in the same boat as you because I too have a small tank (37 gallon) and I want a peaceful Yet colorful tank that houses fish that do well in a small tank.

My Personal Idea for mine Includes:

2 Percs.
1 Yellow Watchman Goby.
1 Flameback Angel.
1 Neon Goby.
Various Clean-up Crew.

chromis they are a light blue color and are very active. but i second the watchman. and the get a pistol shrimp they are the funnyest thing to watch.

they do seem to school from what I've been able to see, but your going to max out your tank completely if you get 6 of 'em.

well i got 3 of them and they schooled with the clownf fish and then one jumped the tank so now i am down to 2 of them. the 2 kind of school but mostly just swim around the tank and hide in the rocks more. but that was after the coral beauty was added.

You could add 1 blue green chromis. I have 2 that used to be best buddies. Now that they are settled in the bigger one is always picking on the other. They are very active, reef safe and great eaters.

I third the yellow watchman with pistol shrimp. Awesome and entertaining to watch together.

Back
Top Bottom