Fiji Blue Devil is truly the DEVIL!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leahdanilalton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone, last week my husband bought a beautiful striped wrasse. She is white, black and blue striped. I find her truly stunning. Anyway after a week in qt we finally decided that she was doing well and eating well so we put her in our show tank. At the moment I'm really regretting putting her in because our little Fiji Blue Devil (damsel) is chasing her all around the tank. Will this settle down or will the Devil chase her until she is dead. The devil has also brought out a new tactic that I have never seen her do.....She is hiding under rocks and when the wrasse goes by her she will jump out and strike the wrasse with her tail fin. What should I do? If I do anything I think I will remove the Blue Devil. My other fish are fine with the new tank mate and don't bother her at all.....Suggestions Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would remove the devil, they arent that expensive and yet it would be more disappointing having it kill the wrasse (Which is more exspensive) than the blue devil. I have a six line wrasse and my blue devils dont pick or bully on it same with the other fish, they get along well :)

The damsel might settle down and leave her alone, but it's a gamble. Damsels in general tend to be very territorial and, as you have seen, can become very aggressive towards new fish. If it were me, I would remove the damsel... they are more trouble than they are worth, IMO.

Thanks guys....I think thats what I am going to have to do.....Do you think it would be worth the try of putting the damsel in my qt tank for a week or so and then try introducing it back to the tank....I'm about to put some newly cured lr in the show tank so maybe with the damsel gone the other fish can establish their new territorys...I heard that if you add the aggressive fish last that they tend to be less aggressive...is this true and do you think I should give it a try?

That's up to you. If you REALLY like the damsel, than you can try it, but it just seems like a lot of trouble to me. It might work, but if it doesn't, you'll have to go through the trouble of catching the damsel all over again.

Back
Top Bottom