Film on surface of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a film on the surface of my water and I am wondering what it is and if it is normal. Can this cause problems in my tank?? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

I can usually a film of some kind on the surface of my water. I have to look up from below with the lights on. Its never caused me any problems. I think in my tank it is mostly dust. Aiming a powerhead towards the surface may help break it up or if you have a skimmer or filter that allows for it try adding a surface skimming attachment.

DOC's is what you have. Dissolved Organic Compounds. A protien skimmer with a surface skimmer will remove it. There are three dangers with excessive DOC's. 1) It can limit the gas exchange at the water surface and lower the O2 content in the tank.
2) If it gets heavy enough, it can block enough light to have an adverse effect on photosynthetic inverts.
3) It is composed of nutrients and stuff that will break down into nutrients. As you probably already know, excessive nutrients in the water will likely fuel an outbreak of pest organisms such as hair algae, bubble algae (valonia), and aiptasia anemones.

does the skimmer have to be a hob? what if the skimmer is in the sump, will it still eliminate the film on the surface if its in a seperate tank? thanks
steve

As long as you are using a surface skimmer (i.e. overflow box or the like) to pull the surface water to the sump, the protein skimmer can be anywhere. THe point is to get the filmy water circulated out to the protein skimmer where it can be dealt with.

alarmguy66 said:
As long as you are using a surface skimmer (i.e. overflow box or the like) to pull the surface water to the sump, the protein skimmer can be anywhere. THe point is to get the filmy water circulated out to the protein skimmer where it can be dealt with.

Exactly...couldn't have said it better!

Does having caulerpa in my sump help out with these DOC's? I have a sort of overflow. It is just a hole that was drilled in my tank with a corner piece of pipe in it facing up with a strainer attached to that. My local fish store has the same setup. I haven't bought a protien skimmer yet, not sure if I am gonna. My freind "Gooy Ferrett" has not sold me his he isn't using yet. Come on Garrett sell that ****!

Thanks,
Josh

The overflow in the tank will help some. Is is possible to put a larger pipe in? Or put an adapter on the existing pipe to make it larger where the water flows in? This, if you can figure a way to do it, will take a thinner layer of water from the surface of the water. Also, you might try to increase your flow. I have found that low flow will leave the DOC's on the surface instead of flushing them down the pipe. The skimmer will help more than anything though.

Back
Top Bottom