Film on top of water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollywood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ya I was just wondering if there is something I could do to get rid of the film on top of the water. What is it? Could this be affecting my corals by not letting the light get thru?

That film is protein buildup and yes it can block light from getting through, though not as much as you'd think. Regardless it is not good and can lead to problems down the road ... best thing is to aim a powerhead at the surface for more surface agitation. Break it up with current!

Surface skimming also works very well. I installed a surface skimmer on my cannister filter and it removed the same film you speak of in less than two hours. Good luck.

Surface skimming is the best way, but a powerhead breaking the surface like jermz said will do it too.

Hollywood said:
What is it?
Excessive DOC's.
Could this be affecting my corals by not letting the light get thru?
Absolutely. It can also affect the air exchange and cause low PH due to lack of dissolved O2/excessive CO2. There are a couple ways to get rid of it as mentioned. Skimmers help as well as being careful not to over feed the tank. Also keep up on regular PWC's, and add more surface agitation to the tank by aiming a PH towards the top.

You could also use the Fluval Surface Skimmer hooked up to your HOB or PH. It will clear it up quick along with more surface agitation. Your lfs should have it or can get it for you.

p31196b.jpg

i use the above surface skimmer in conjunction with my aquaC remora... it works pretty well, but it was a pain to hook up to my remora. none of the connections fit the suction of the maxijet pump, so i had to diy some pvc pipe to fit the surface skimmer outlet and the maxijet inlet. took a bit of time, but works nicely.

you will also have to adjust the surface skimmer a bit when it is new because the floating surface skimmer cup will bounce up and down depending on the suction.

~mike

It can be a pain in the rear if you aren't diligent with keeping your water at the same level. It will then require a lot of adjustments.

mp3z24.. the fluval surfase skimmer adjusts for water height by floating the surfase extracting tube up and down the black rod correct?

Ahhh, one of the biggest benefits of having an overflow into a sump. However, the only real good thing you could look at is that you do at least have an indication that you have an abundance of DOC's. All the above choices will work, but some require extra equipment being visible in the tank.

What I would do first is remove the DOC's causing the problem. A large water change of 30-50% would probably do wonders in addition to running carbon if you have the ability (HOB/Canister filter, etc.). It is most important to make sure the changewater is properly mixed, aerated, and buffered to the tank parameters (PH, salinity, temp).

The accumulating DOC's on the surface may actually be a sign of more impending problems down the road from lack of export.

greenmaji said:
mp3z24.. the fluval surfase skimmer adjusts for water height by floating the surfase extracting tube up and down the black rod correct?
yes, the floating slotted cup will sit at the water level and skim off the surface. it will follow the water level changes.

like i said earlier, you do have to get your settings right with that black stick. basically, the body has a threaded end and a set of slots at the bottom. the black stick is screwed up and down to adjust the size of the openings at the bottom. if you set the openings too large at the bottom, then the pump will pull more water from the bottom, and wont skim very well. if you set the openings at the bottom too small, then the suction of the pump will be pulling too much from the surface and the cup will surge under water and then bounce back to the surface... it is quite annoying when it happens, but it just takes a little adjusting to get it working well. i have mine set to skim about 1/8 inch below the surface. your settings may vary depending on what the feed is going to.

mike

I used to have that problem even with the powerhead blowing towards the surface. There is agitation but the oily film exists. What I did temporarily is I added coarse bubbles in there (airline tube without airstones on the other end, connected to a two-outlet air pump). Suddenly, the the film is no more.

any downside with bubbling the tank? It's really mild and coarse bubbles, though.

Your inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.

The only downside of the bubbler is that the bulbs popping on the surface will splash and cause salt creep buildup somewhere.

I have two maxi-jet 1200 powerheads and an Aqua C remora pro skimmer. The slime went away. The two powerheads are about 3-4 inches from the surface, pointing up diagonally towards the surface. That's what works for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom