Film on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juster

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been up and running for 3 months now. I always have a film on top of the water that I want to get rid of but nothing helps. I have an aqua c urchin pro skimmer that i thought would get rid of it but after 2 months it is still there. How can i get rid of it?

Juster

One suggestion would be to aim a powerhead towards the surface. The more surface aggitation you have the less film and the better oxygen transfer. Try this and see if it helps.

tripper

Your skimmer while helping to cut down on DOC does not skim the surface of the water. Are you getting good skimmate? Do you use ro\di water? Is your water otherwise clear? I assume you have either a drilled tank or hob overflow since you have a sump, doesn’t that surface skim? After 3 months and with the kind of circulation you have you shouldn’t be seeing any film, especially without feeding the tank.

Also you don’t list any fish in your profile, have you cycled your tank yet? (fishless preferably)

I have had both maxijets pointed at the surface since day 1. I do get a fair bit of skimate. I have and ro/di unit and it is still producing water with 0 ppm solids. The tank has a built in overflow and is draining into the sump but it is not drawing heavily from the surface of the display tank. The overflow has slots at the bottom, middle and top.

Inhabitants are 3 chromis, 2 cleaner shrimp, 70 hermits and 60 smails. Tank was cycled 3 months ago with 100 lbs of uncured live rock.

That’s the only thing I don’t like about the MegaFlow™ Overflow System from all glass. I understand the concept as far as getting water from all levels but with proper circulation it shouldn’t be an issue if it’s all taken from the top. You could close up the other slots to help with surface skimming. The only other thing that could be causing it is excessive feeding but I have a feeling with your fish/invert list not much is left :D

its a protine build up, you need to get some surface skimming going on. How do you get the water from the tank into the sump? Adjust the overflow so it sucks faster or more surface water.

Ok, since I've got a similar setup, I'll ask..
How the heck would I adjust the overflow to suck in water faster beyond keeping it clean?

I just got my megaflow tank and am putting a durso pipe in it. I would like to know the answer as well. I may need this info in a feww weeks.
Brian

When I had my 55, my overflow had two bolts on it that I could raise or lower it in the tank. I dont know what you call this maybe an external overflow. Obviously if you have a permanent builkhead or overflow you cannot raise or lower it. But that is what I did in my 55 when I had film on top of water.

i have a drilled tank in the back upper corners with bulkheads and I have elbows with strainers on them. To get more flow i just lower them slightly. I want to say that most OF boxes have some kind of adjustment on them.. Never using one i'm not 100% sure on all models.

Back
Top Bottom