Filter pad question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible for the filter pads to be dumping nitrAtes into my tank. I have dsb and 40 lbs of lr, and 15 or so lbs of base rock. I tested my tank yesterday and my nitrAtes were on the heavy 20 ppm side, today after removing my filter pads last night, I tested and it is on the lighter side of 20 ppm. Also for some reason my water is clearer tonight. I'm gonna be testing twice a day for a while to make sur eit doesn't go back up but if it goes down even more then I am ok to leave my pads out? TIA.

I suggest you don't use ANY mechanical filtration. It's simply not needed on a regular basis. It collects rotting matter and recycles your tank water through it over and over. I'm not surprised at your results. Sounds typical.
I assume this is your 46 gal with 55 lbs rock. With that LR and a DSB (and no other filtration except a skimmer) your nitrates should now begin to fall and will be zero in a few weeks.

Mark

Looks like you almost have 1lb of LR per gallon in that 46 gallon tank. Your 15lbs of base rock will eventually become LR extremely soon. I wouldn't even use those filters if it were me.

Anyway, I think it is possible that they could be producing nitrates if they go "biological". If you really want to use the pads, I would rinse them out under tap water at least once a week to kill any nitrifying bacteria that may be living on it. The idea here is that you want your LR and LS to become your primary sources of biological filtration anyway...

wait a minute, no mechanical filtration whatsoever? Then what does the filtration? Or is it that a refugium or LR only does the filtration?

The rock is your Biological filtration. I would dump the mechanical as well. Just a nitrate trap. I just have about 80 pounds of LR in my 65. That is all you need. Lots of rock DSB, and flow.

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I could dump the pads. As long as my nitrAtes don't start to rise I'll be ok then. Thanks again. I'll post back this evening with an update. :D

I run micron pads when I notice heavy particulate matter. All I do is sink the pads in the return chamber of my sump. I run them about 24/48 hours. When im done (planned around a water change) I shut off the return and pull the pads. After that I take all the water out of the return chamber because those pads always dump a ton of what you collected back into the water when you pull them. Its a pain, but just my process if I have to use them. Aside from that I don't use any mech filtration at all.

I don't have a sump. But the nitrAtes seem to be dropping. I checked them midday today and it was just a touch lighter that last night. :D

Back
Top Bottom