Filter sock and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read a lot of people state that filter socks are nothing but a nitrate trap if they aren't cleaned every day or so. It just occurred to me that a filter sock shouldn't have any detrimental effect on a tank if left to sit until weekly maintenance.

The detritus that it picks up is in the system already and unless you are siphoning it out daily, it being located inside a filter sock isn't going to randomly increase nitrates.

Is there something that I'm missing about it?

I run filter socks and see no problem with nitrates. I leave mine in until the water is at the top sometimes there overflowing usually a week i just replace it and clean the dirty one out. Maintenance on any filtration system will limit nitrate build up.

If what they are saying is true that it traps the Nitrate, then it means it is a good thing right? But then filter sock is a mechanical filter. It does nothing but removes unconsumed food and unwanted solid materials floating around the tank. If you don't clean it so often, then of course it does not serve its purpose and what's in it will gradually dissolve and produce nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom