Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filteration

Hey all I am opening a thread to see what else I can do to get rid of nitrites in my 30 gallon saltwater tank. I've done water changes consistently and I've used chemicals such as prime and QuickStart and a special Hellen's mixture that smells horrid. All my love stock are out of the tank so I can get this figured out. I've had this problem since I started the tank in August of 2016. I let it cycle for 6 months before i put anything in and then as soon as I put my first fish in the nitrites went off the chart. I'm wondering if my fliteration isn't good enough. I have the Aqua Clear Fluval power filter 50. I've come to think it's my filter because I've done so much to help the tank and nothing has helped. Another thought I had was my sand bed I have 3 inches of sand in the tank to help filter it. I have the Caribsea Ocean direct sand. Any input would be great. Thanks a ton.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

filtration has nothing to do with nitrites if your seeing nitrites you didn't get a spike at the beginning to start the cycle correctly .

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Old 03-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

So if that's the case what do I do to fix it. My fish can only stay on the smaller tank for so long I believe. But I need a fast solution. I thought 6 months would be long enough cycle. But maybe not.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would throw in a Ammonia source and start the cycle over .
Old 03-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

Okay i will try that. Would ammonia lock be alright for saltwater aquariums or is that more just for freshwater
Old 03-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I always used a shrimp never heard of ammonia lock
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

It'll just do the shrimp thing again then haha the ammonia lock was just something I found at my local petco. Thanks for the help I'll try it and I'll get back to you
Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ammonia lock is a freshwater thing. Though it will bind the ammonia in the water to make it non toxic, it won't do anything in terms of assisting the cycling process. It also won't be of effect once the system is cycled as the beneficial bacteria in the rock and sand that is established during the cycle will manage any ammonia that is produced.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com