filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

border324

Aquarium Advice Regular
looking for the best filtration for a saltwater tank?
i have heard good things about wet dry systems and bad things!
i would like to know from the people. what would be the best way to filter my tank (canister,wetdry,hang-on, protein skimmer)
thanks michael

as reefrunner says it pretty much depends. I wanted a wet/dry system, but decided o try a canister filter, and thus fay I ahve no probs whatsoever. Hang ons are good for water movement and grabbing of much larger particles in the water that you don't want in your other filters. But yeah whats your tank specs?

see i am not shure what i want to set up? i want a tank that i cant look at and see something different each day but yet i want a challenge. i just dont know where to go with this i do a bunch of reading but i cant decided. i have been in the salt water feild befor. i had just fish nothing else. i have some extra money and what to have a sw tank
any suggestion would be helpful
tank spec.
55gallon
xp2 rated for 75 gallons
200 watt heater
1 maxi jet 900
seaclone 100 protein skimmer
no live rock or sand nothing

thanks michael

IMO, you'll need a good skimmer no matter what kind of tank you set up. I prefer the Berlin system of filtration using LR as the biological filter. I also like a DSB because it controls nitrates and adds diversity to the tank. If you want to go with a reef, then you'll need to address the problem of lighting. If it's going to be a FOwLR, then the lighting isn't so important although you will need more than one NO tube over the tank to make the LR happy. You might want to purchase a copy of "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner and read it before you spend any money on this. It will give you a good overview of each type of tank and its pros/cons. Also, on our home page, you'll see a link entitled "articles". There is some good info in there as well.

thanks i will buy that book!
i have another question if you dont mined?
i found a wet dry set-up that i like alot
i heard on this site that you should turn your tank over 10 times a hr
now i can buy a 800gph filter for a 55 gallon tank and it would turn over 14 times in 1 hr. my question is it ok to buy a filter over rated for your tank?
thanks
michael

also i dont want to do no cutting to my tank.
on a wet dry filters do they require you to do so?
thanks michael

Back
Top Bottom