filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcarlson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help in chosing a filter.Im new at this and hear that i should go with a protein skimmer.Can anyone give me some models or some websites to look at.This would be for a 55 gallon tank.I am now just getting equimpent only at this time.

Do you plan on having a sump or are you looking for a skimmer that will hang on the tank? I am going to guess, being new, you are looking for a hanging model.

My recs would be: AquaC Remora line, CPR Bakpak II line, or the Prizm Pro.

I have the AquaC Remora with the preskimmer box. It works like a charm. I haven't had any trouble with it at all. You might also want to consider adding a biowheel. My Emperor 400 keeps my water crystal clear. i HTH. 8O

I personally would skip any mechanical filtration except for a good protein skimmer. Like previously mentioned, the remora or bakpak is a good choice.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/dog1/sumps.html

In this case, the sump is used to incorporate a refugium into the center area to help reduce nutrients through its uptake by macroalgae. However, sumps can have several uses including being an area to hide equipment (i.e. heaters, protein skimmer, etc.) or simply to increase the total water volume of the entire system (greater stability from the increased water volume, increased nutrient dilution).

Hello Kcarlson, well choosing the right filtration method that will ultimately make you happy is on that comes with many approaches. Depending on the type of Marine Aqaurium you are intending on keeping will get you started on your endeavors. Ask yourself these questions:

1. What will you be choosing as for a setup? Fish Only with Live Rock setup or a Reef setup.

2. How much are you looking to spend for the filtration setup of your tank without neglecting the other aspects such as subtrate, lighting, aquascaping, etc. etc.?

3. What type of fish will you be considering to live within your aquarium? Are they extremely efficient at creating high amounts of waste that will pollute your water or are they small and the waste created is negligable?

4. How much space either within the tank or underneath/around the tank are willing to allocate for the tank.

These questions will help guide you toward the right purchase for your tank. Everyone has their own idea of what filtration is the best and everything works out sometime differently for different people. I myself combine massive amounts of filtration including Hang On Tank style Emperor Filters, Protein Skimmer, and Canister Filter and don't use a sump. Other have an approach that is just live rock with a Protein Skimmer or even those that have a sump along. Its a different setup. We can just point out what has worked best for us in our situation. I hope this helps. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom