Filtration and power head questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatfishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have a 20g long, fully cycled and all that jazz. I'm looking to upgrade my filtration capacity as well as powerheads. I currently have a 20g filter running chemi pure and one 425gph powerhead and one 160gph powerhead.

I'm thinking about ditching the 425gph head. It's an aquaclear product and its very bulky and clogs easily. I'm considering a koralia evolution 750gph head because it's smaller and seems to distribute flow easier. Would this be a good decision? I'd really like just 1 powerhead, probably in the middle of the back pane bouncing off the front.

As far as the filter, I'm considering this

Amazon.com: H.O.T. Magnum Canister Filter - Up to 55 gallons - 5 in. x 6 in. x 13.5 in.: Kitchen & Dining

I'll only be using chemipure, carbon, and filter floss. Possibly live rock and chaeto.

Any other suggestions on a HOB filter that isn't an AC110?

I think your choice of a Koralia 750 is good but it might be too much against the front glass as the tank isnt very wide. Might cause some sand storms. I used 2 koralia 750's in a 29g regular which is 30" long as well and I found it perfect for my corals.

Actually I think the 110 would be too much, I have a AC70 in my 20L and its ALOT of water displacement. I was using an AC50 on my 29g and a hob skimmer. :)

But if youre set against an AC, then the hob you have looks like it will work. Best of both worlds. HOB and canister.

Thanks for the input carey :) Where would you suggest the placement? All I have is a leather coral however, I plan on slowly going full-reef. I really want to minimize my powerheads down to 1 (it's a 20g long tank.)

I previously had an AC70 but the impeller quit working. I'm not a fan of their product, despite their superior media baskets. The HOB canister may not be an option as I just realized my lighting mounts take up too much of the rim and there isn't enough space in the back -_-

Also, a HOB refugium isn't what I'm looking for. I'm looking for superior water movement as well as top notch chemical filtration (carbon, chemipure, purigen, etc). I have chaeto in the display and regularly throw out huge clumps. I like how it looks!

I keep my powerheads on either side of the tank with both aimed at each others flow and meeting on the front glass. If that generates too much sandbed flow you can adjust it to meet more on the rocks, noce bonus is it keeps your rock waterflow moving. Kinda just depends on how your tank/rock is setup.

I've used Ac's for like ever, since 1990 and I never got a bad one. If you go the cansiter route keep in mind the depth of your tank and the intake/outflow from it. You also have got to be up on your filter maintenance or you chance having a nitrate factory on your hands.

Are you considering a skimmer down the line?

i would not keep the chaeto in the display, the growth is to rapid as well you can grow pods in a fuge. if you are lookign for chemical filtration then look into reactors, they have a slower rate as they are not used for mechanical filtration so it allose the chemical media to do a better job. canister filters are good at filtering out crud from the water but they also build up alot of organics i nthem and cause nitrate spikes if not cleaned often.

you can also put a nylon stocking full of chemipure or purigen in an HOB refugium and have better filtration results then a canister or powerfilter. natural filtration is the best for of filtration for a reef system

as far as flow i like my koralias, they get the job done but are a bit bulky. i have two 550s which should be plenty for your 20g long

Yeah, seems a bit small, but I do like the design and it definitely seems to be a good alternative to a HOB. I could just ditch the ceramic rings and stuff it with the media I want, right? The only problem is I can't quite tell how big the media compartment is.

Urgh, this is a touch decision! Should I ditch a HOB altogether?

Back
Top Bottom