Filtration for 44 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i've currently purchased an all-in-one fish tank with the bio filter in the top aswell as the 3 lights. It measures 85cmL*44cmW*55cmH. I've been told that if i wanted to keep corals and fish successfully i will need another means of filtration aswell as more water circulation in the tank. Seeing these tanks are non compatible with skimmers, would a fluval 304 canister filter solve both these problems or is there another way i can go about it? Any help on this topic would be great thanx.

Live Rock could act as your second form of filtration. YOu will need additional Powerheads to move more water around. You want to be able to turn the water over 10 to 20 times an hour. So look for a total water flow of about 500 to 800 gallons per hour.

What type of lighting do you have? chances are that will need upgraded too. A conversion kit may be available for your system. If not, you may need to DIY.

Lighting and water movement are both very important factors in keeping corals happy and healthy.

By the way: :smilecolros: welcome to Aquarium Advice!!! :smilecolros:

Thanx for the reply. I've just gone and bought myself a Fluval 404 which filters 1300 litres/h. i'm planning on filling it with live rock also so hopefully this will be enough to get my tank up and running. Can't wait for the tank to get here so i can start my SW aquarium! Are UV sterilizers another means of keeping the algae down? Do they work well and are they worth it?

Thats a tough one.

I have no experence with them but I hear alot of people either love 'em or hate 'em or are indifferent.

Uv

wait to see if you have a problem before you go buy a uv filter...

Also, putting LR in a canister is silly.. you'll kill all the "life" on the rock...

I think you misread the post. I'm not going to fill the canister with live rock, i'm filling the tank with live rock and using the canister filter as a second means of filtration. The tank also has a bio filter built into the hood but have been told that this will not be efficient. Therefore i bought the fluval 404. Here is a link to the tank.

http://www.reefculture.com.au/catal...id=31&osCsid=97d3d3fbcd2eb62499e879795993a10f

Back
Top Bottom