Filtration Help for Saltwater Aquarium....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey sorry I been gone for a while. Mom passed away in a fire a month ago. BUt I have a question about my tank since it helps me relax. I have a 55 gallon aquarium with no sump. Landlord won't let me have it on the 3rd floor. I have 2 Eshopps Psk-75 HOB skimmers which are skimming great. I was debating to get a Canister filter or a aquaclear 110 just to add purigen and Phosguard in. What do you guys think?

I like both Purigen and Phosgard. I just wrote a thread about wanting to ditch the use of messy GFO. I run both in cheap LifeGard fluidized filters that are HOB. I place a fine mesh filter sock over the outputs to catch any strays. Both chemicals do a good job, Purigen gets the nitrogen products and Phosgard gets the phosphates and silicates. I regenerate the Purigen.

Canisters need a lot of cleaning and it takes about 20 minutes so if your lazy about maintenace id go hob. They are just easyer to maintain. I have a 55 and i use purigen and carbon. Ivr used chemipure to sometimes...

I have a canister not my reef, hob AC on the FOWLR. The AC is quicker to clean for sure, but I've gotten pretty quick at cleaning the canister too. Te canister would add some more flow, the hob won't really add much flow. Those can be run in either of those filters. Just depends on which you'd rather buy/clean.

Back
Top Bottom