Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriskuke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the site. Or fairly new. I've done alot of reading and looking through different sponsors stores. However some of the lingo and abbreviations are a little confusing to a newbie. I have a 120G tank that I'd like to convert to salt water. It is fresh water now. The canister filter I have is the Ehiem 2217. It works awesome on the tank now. I think it could be used in conjunction with a skimmer that hangs on the back. But how well it work is my question. Could it somehow be used with an under cabinet skimmer. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Would work fine. You would need an HIB skimmer unless you want to go the sump route but then you wouldn't need the can filter. Look for Roka to chime in. He's the can-can man.....

LOL, here I am! You can just use the filter. I run filters and no skimmer. That is just my personal preference, there are plenty of folks that swear by them. If you are looking for a HOB skimmer, Bak-Pak is a good brand. You'll have to wait for the skimmer experts to chime in on what they like.

Hey Roka, Are you serious about only using filters and no skimmer. How's that work? Lot's of extra work?

Nope, one less piece of equipment to clean! I like the cannister for added LR rubble and I like to run purigen in there as well. I also keep a lightly stocked tank, 3 fish in a 55, so that helps as well.
I know there are plenty of reefers that run skimmers, but as I stated before, let them chime in before you make a decision.

I have a Bak-Pak Skimmer and I love it I also have a Fluval 405 with LR rubble in it Less maintenance in the canister and it adds an added benefit for some flow. I use both becasue thats just my personal Preference but it keeps my tank crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom