Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all -

For the past 7 months I have been using 2 Fluval 404 Canisters to help keep my tank clean. It seems they have done a great job in the beginning, but they are now falling down on the job and unable to keep up, so I have decided to replace them with an Aqualine wet/dry system. I know..I know..nitrate factory :oops: . Let me give you the reasoning: I am going to use the wet/dry in place until I get more liverock in the tank to support the flitration on its own. It is a 90 Gallon FOWLR with 65lbs. of LR right now. The wet/dry I have ordered is made for a 125G, so there is plenty of sump space in there. Once the liverock is in and stable, then I will remove the BIO balls and use it strictly for a sump for equipment. I found this on EBAY for $144.00 with overflow, hoses, pump, etc., and couldn't pass it up.

Now for the question:
Should I leave my canisters in place until the new wet/dry unit is able to perform without them? If this is the case, should I leave them in for 6 weeks or so, then remove them so there will only be a wet/dry sump unit supporting the tank? Does this sound like a logical plan? TIA

Mike

i think it would be best to leave the canisters on, otherwise you are removing a major source of denitrifiying bacteria, and your tank will have trouble adjusting. sounds like a good plan.

just get that LR!!! :)

What if I leave the canisters runnning in conjunction with the wet/dry for a while? Will I eventually be able to remove the canisters once the wet/dry has built up enough bacterial colonies? I just hate the look of those canisters in the main tank.

Mike

yeah, remove them slowly.

"canisters in the main tank"??? I assume you mean "under" or something... mine's in my cabinet and I don't have to look at it.

They are under the tank, but the parts I don't like to look at that are in the main tank are the filter arms. I am looking for a more clean look. Do you think 6 weeks or so would be a good period to remove 1, then another 6 weeks to remove the other? I just want to make sure I do this right the first time, as I have livestock I don't want to lose. Thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom