finally... enough light???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok all.... I scored a new light! 48" 4 bulb pcs. 2 64w 12k and 2 64w actinics. I added a 48" t5 coralife set. Is this enough to have a nem? Thanks!

I would still feed it, depends on the age of the tank the depth of the tank. If deeper then 24 inch ur pushing er

How long has the tank been up and running? And do you have a pic of the tank? Also what are your water parameters?

xxStLxx said:
How long has the tank been up and running? And do you have a pic of the tank? Also what are your water parameters?

I've had the rock and water running for only a couple months. I just switched it over to my new tank. Ill get pics in the am. I've got 4 clowns, a pair if blue yellow tailed damsels, and a huma huma. I'm not tryin to get a nem tomorrow but, I want a pair of nems one for each pair of clowns.

Multiple pairs of clowns is a bad idea. With 3 or more clowns only 2 will pair up and the 3rd wheels will be bullied to death. Some have kept multiple pairs, but its the exception not the rule.

Nems need a tank that's been running about a year or so. The clowns also aren't guaranteed to host it either.

Your lighting should suffice for maintaining certain species of anemones. Remember however that lighting represents just a small part of the equation in maintaining a successful marine aquarium. Water parameters, filtration, water flow, diet, health of the individual when purchased, other tank mates and proper husbandry standards have to be taken into consideration along with light for optimum results.
There are no guarantees that an Anemone and Clown (Percula or Oscillaris) will pair up an the species of both Clown and Anemone being added makes a difference in whether the Anemone hosts a Clownfish.
I would stay away from Haitian Anemones, Carpets, Sebae Anemone and the Heteractis species and pursue the Bubble tip(Entacmaea)or Pacific Long Tentacle Anemone(Macrodactyla) instead.
Anemonefish will often times host other animals like a Tridacna Clams mantle(my Clown did that), corals such as Xenia, Star Polyps, Frogspawn, Clove Polyps and Zoanthids, especially.

Like BallinCrew said multiple clowns (more than 2 or 2 dif species) in the same tank is a bad idea. They will more than likely kill each other. So pick 2 that you like and sell the rest.

xxStLxx said:
Like BallinCrew said multiple clowns (more than 2 or 2 dif species) in the same tank is a bad idea. They will more than likely kill each other. So pick 2 that you like and sell the rest.

They are all roughly 3-4 yrs old and seem to be getting a long. Even during feeding. They are all percs. Here are some pics of their future home.

ForumRunner_20111214_135452.jpg

ForumRunner_20111214_135434.jpg

Some times clowns will get along when there is no nem in there but when youo put it in there and they relize hey this is gonna be my home, they will surely fight to the death for it.

Sqasnatch said:
Some times clowns will get along when there is no nem in there but when youo put it in there and they relize hey this is gonna be my home, they will surely fight to the death for it.

What if I did two nems?

I've seen tanks with two nems and one pair where during the day time they hosted in one nem and then at night they hosted in the other. Really the only way you could possibly pull this off is if you had a 5-6 ft long tank where in one corner there was a nem and the first set of clowns and the other corner was the other nem and the second set. And even then you play risk of one set wanting both.

xxStLxx said:
I've seen tanks with two nems and one pair where during the day time they hosted in one nem and then at night they hosted in the other. Really the only way you could possibly pull this off is if you had a 5-6 ft long tank where in one corner there was a nem and the first set of clowns and the other corner was the other nem and the second set. And even then you play risk of one set wanting both.

Well it sounds like it'll be a long time till I get a nem. Maybe ill get a couple clay pots and see how they do.

Just keep an eye on them. I believe Carey had 2 pairs together that were fine for a while and almost over night started going after each other and had to be separated.

Back
Top Bottom