Finally getting a skimmer - will this one work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After much reading, most people seem to like the AquaC skimmers, so that's what I'm looking at - unless somebody has a better idea. :D I'd like one that goes in my wet/dry sump (praying it will fit and I'll have room to get the collection cup out), so I'm looking at the AquaC Urchin. I think I prefer that over a HOB type for aesthetic reasons, although if there's a good reason to have one over the other, I'd like to know. I have a 75 gallon tank.

Here's my question. The Urchin says it is for 20-75 gallons (w/Maxi Jet 1200 pump). The Urchin Pro is for 40-120 gallons (Mag 3 pump). Will the Urchin work for my tank or do I need the Pro? Money is tight and I wouldn't be getting a skimmer at all right now if I weren't so sick of the green algae and hadn't just tested way too high on nitrates (& phosphates are at 1) even after a WC yesterday. I'm hoping the skimmer will do the trick.

Next on the wish list is a ro/di, but I can't afford both right now and it seems like the skimmer is the more immediate need. I know people suggest to err on the side of 'too much', but since it's a $60 difference between the 2 Urchin models and I'm already breaking the bank, I'd like some honest opinions on if the cheaper one would be sufficient. Maybe the quality will make up a little for having just barely enough power?

Also, this model will work in my wet/dry, correct? Does it draw the water from the bottom so I don't have to have my sump too full? I don't like having a bunch of water in there, to avoid an overflow if the power were to shut off. I usually have about 7 1/2" of water in there to keep my return pump covered with some extra in case I forget to top off for a few days.

I do have a question about my nitrate 'spike', but I'll start another topic for that. :)

Thanks for any help!
Jodi W

Have you put any thought into changing you substrate? I think you would lower your Nitrates alot by switching. CC is widely know for being a nitrate factory.

As far as the skimmer goes, I only have the AquaC Remora. Its a great skimmer so I think you'll be fine with the Reg. Urchin.

any other questions, just ask! :)

As far as I know, the urchin works great on a 75 gallon. If I were you i would not skimp on skimmer, its one of the most important pieces of your system.

Back
Top Bottom