Finally! Started my 70 Gallon Mixed Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to ask random questions and have this as a journal kind of thing :lol: Basically I bought a glass aquarium, stand, canopy, small acrylic sump, plumbing, pump from a guy on craigslist. I was going to buy a new biocube 29, but when I saw this huge tank I couldn't resist :lol:. Anyway, the plumbing and pump were useless, sump was too small so I sold it, and I ruined the stand and canopy :( (although the stand didn't look too stable anyway). The dimensions are abnormal so I had to get a custom stand, custom glass sump, and everything else since this was to be a reef aquarium.

Anyway, *phew* after the many struggles/obstacles I encountered while setting this up (made mistakes I could have avoided :whistle:) 2 months ago, I added water a 2nd time and everything has been going for the most part smooth. If you're considering giving up, don't! Fulfill your dreams and if this is what you love don't trash it because of an obstacle :D (my apologies for the cheesiness :lol:).

I fishless cycled and currently my parameters are:
ammonia-0 ppm
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm
salinity-1.023 YIKES :eek: I'll raise it slowly
pH-8.2
phosphate-.25

Sorry for the length and I won't bombard you with questions all at once, but why is my chaeto fading in color (lighter green)/getting bubbles? There is moderate flow..it's not tumbling, but does it really need to? The light is a 6500k 26 watt floodlight I think, I think that's sufficient light. :blink:
:thanks: for reading!

obscurereef said:
Just wanted to ask random questions and have this as a journal kind of thing :lol: Basically I bought a glass aquarium, stand, canopy, small acrylic sump, plumbing, pump from a guy on craigslist. I was going to buy a new biocube 29, but when I saw this huge tank I couldn't resist :lol:. Anyway, the plumbing and pump were useless, sump was too small so I sold it, and I ruined the stand and canopy :( (although the stand didn't look too stable anyway). The dimensions are abnormal so I had to get a custom stand, custom glass sump, and everything else since this was to be a reef aquarium.

Anyway, *phew* after the many struggles/obstacles I encountered while setting this up (made mistakes I could have avoided :whistle:) 2 months ago, I added water a 2nd time and everything has been going for the most part smooth. If you're considering giving up, don't! Fulfill your dreams and if this is what you love don't trash it because of an obstacle :D (my apologies for the cheesiness :lol:).

I fishless cycled and currently my parameters are:
ammonia-0 ppm
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm
salinity-1.023 YIKES :eek: I'll raise it slowly
pH-8.2
phosphate-.25

Sorry for the length and I won't bombard you with questions all at once, but why is my chaeto fading in color (lighter green)/getting bubbles? There is moderate flow..it's not tumbling, but does it really need to? The light is a 6500k 26 watt floodlight I think, I think that's sufficient light. :blink:
:thanks: for reading!

24/ h lighting?

I have heard chaeto doesn't do well in new setups, could be an issue. I can tell you I added mine about 3 months post cycle. It doesn't tumble and it grows like weeds due to the amount I feed. I do flip it over every 3-4 days though.

Qube said:
I have heard chaeto doesn't do well in new setups, could be an issue. I can tell you I added mine about 3 months post cycle. It doesn't tumble and it grows like weeds due to the amount I feed. I do flip it over every 3-4 days though.

Just cycled a 250g with chaeto since day 1 size of softball at start and size of basketball now so i wouldn think its because of new tank i also run 24/h lighting just my opinion all tanks are different maybe try rinsing it

Thanks for the advice! So I got a serpent star last weekend and I haven't seen it come out yet. Don't know if it's dead or not. :L I think I added it too early b/c the nitrates are high. Should I put a piece of food or something on the sand bed and see if it comes out during the night? If anyone has brittle or serpent stars do you rarely or often see them?

obscurereef said:
Thanks for the advice! So I got a serpent star last weekend and I haven't seen it come out yet. Don't know if it's dead or not. :L I think I added it too early b/c the nitrates are high. Should I put a piece of food or something on the sand bed and see if it comes out during the night? If anyone has brittle or serpent stars do you rarely or often see them?

I only see serpent when i feed

Well even when I feed and some uneaten food goes towards the bottom, I never see it come out, or see a leg. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom