Finnally got my tank cycled - and now my new fish are acting weird....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finnally got my tank cycled and the levels all in the right area.

I had my lunar wrasse and white eyed eel waiting at the LPS, and I went to pick them up- only to find out they had sold my eel :( Anyhow, brought the wrasee home and within 5 hours he was flying around the tank - VERY active. He is about 5.5" long FYI.

So I decided to go buy some more fish today, got to clowns, a foxface, and a yellow tang.

The Tang and the foxface seem to be VERY timmid and slow moving compared to the wrasse who whipps around them.

I'm wondering if the wrasse is perhaps to agressive for them? He doesn't bother the clowns, but they are tiny and stay out of the way.

FYI - my tank is 150g, with no live rock yet, only some pvc pipe for the fish to hide, but none seem to do that.

Well you have introduced alot of fish at one time check your water parameters again. what are you using to test the water? You need to get LR in the tank for "natural" hiding places. Also dont introduce too many fish at one time just for future reference HTH

Yea, I think I got carried away at the fish store and forgot about the potential spike in nitrate levels.

I would be more concerned about the ammonia spike. Keep an eye out and be ready for some PWCs.

Yea, I think I got carried away at the fish store and forgot about the potential spike in nitrate levels.

I think that`s a pretty good assumption. You`ll need to do some frequent PWC`s to make up the difference.

Wow- the forum was right. My amonia level is over 3.7!!@!@

Forgive my rookieness here, but in order to do a water change - how long do I need to let the new batch of mixed water sit before adding it in?

I've bought some stuff called "ammo lock" and put the recommended dosage in for now. The fish seem to be fine so far.

I've also had to add a barrier to keep the wrasse away from everyone else. The other fish are much less timmid (though still are), and the wrasse is still his active self.

On a side note - I'm thinking of getting another tank for the wrasse to be in - what are some other fish that could deal with a REALLY agressive fish like this? He is really beautiful, and very active which is great to watch so I really don't want to loose him.

let the new batch of water agitate for about 24 hrs, make sure the salinity and temp are as close to the same as you can get.

In this situation I would try to get some pre-made salt water to do them .. When making your own you normally should airate the water for 24 hours then add the salt on the 24 hour mark (give or take a few is ok too :D) then mix for another 24 hours however in this situation you could measure your water airate for a couple add the salt and mix for a few more ... Try to match perameters IE PH , SPG , Temp to the tank ;) then go ahead and do your H20 changes ..

I agree with the rest.
You can mix your water and do a few smaller PWCs for emergencies and then a larger one, once it has had time to aerate. Most importantly, get the temp and salinity the same for the smaller ones.
Oh yeah, when you do top offs from evaporation, use FW and not SW. The FW will evaporate but not the salt....

Back
Top Bottom