Fire Clown & anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
A month or so ago I bought a small really pretty long tenacle- it was white & blue"ish". The tank I planned to put it in wasn't quite ready so I put it in my 50 gallon. The fire clown- who has never made any attempt to host with anything took a liking to it & nearly beat it to death. I rescued it but then started feeling guilty about the clown because it was suddenly digging craters in the sand all over the tank.... seeming very unhappy to have lost that anemone. Oh, I forgot to mention that the little long tenacle, when I first put him in the tank, moved himself back to the clown's sleeping spot so I guess he really deserved the "love" he got from the clown....
Now.... I found a small-medium conde anemone last week. I brought him home and he immediately moved himself back near the clownfish's home, too. It took a short time but the clown hosted in him....seemed to be going well.... anemone was puffy, clownfish didn't stay there constantly but off & on.... Now, the conde is still in the clown's territory but has moved himself under a ledge of my liverock right above the sand.....at the bottom of the tank. I can see him & he is still puffy but he is in the dark???? I was a bit worried about the amount of light I have before I got the anemone but now I'm totally confused... shouldn't he be moving toward the light? Interestingly, the tiny little long tenacle, that I put in the other tank has done the same thing (found a spot behind a shell). He took quite a beating so he is pretty small but is puffy most of the time... when I can see him. His tank has 2 baby clownfish in it (oscellaris) so no hosting has happened yet... of course, they can't find him behind the rocks & shells, etc.
Any ideas? I know I'm supposed to leave them alone....but......

Leave it alone. They will wonder all around till happy. But for what its worth, condis will eat clownfish. They are not the hosting kind.

OMG! My clownfish doesn't seem to realize this.... Has the anemone just not been hungry?

Maybe hasnt caught it yet. I have heard of them being together but not usually.

Yeah, condy anemones are from the Atlantic ocean/Caribbean where no clownfish live so they aren't used to being hosted. It will probably try to eat the clown soon enough.

Usually it's a matter of time. Both my clarkii's host my condy, not happy about it at all. From some reading the other day I came across an article that said arrow crabs will host condy's. I don't know how much truth there is to that, since it wasn't my focal point of reading. But if there is indeed any truth to it then the clowns might be okay since something does host it. Again it was an article I can across but I didn't look into it at all, so I don't know if there really is any truth behind it.

Back
Top Bottom