Fireworm, Arrow crab lots of ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AkainePSP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While feeding my 44 gallon corner tank this morning some formula one I noticed I have a major fireworm problem. These arn't little ones either they look pretty long. I know arrow crabs will eat these. I have no problem with getting one to do the job but what I'm concerned with is if the arrow crab will bother bloodshrimp, camelback shrimp, snails or other crabs? I'm thinking he will eat some of my snails. I have a good 100 or more nassasarius snails. I was to much in awe to think about taking a pic when I was feeding. But one still remained out for a bit. So I took a pic. Is there a difference between bristleworms and fireworms? And would my serpant star eat the worms? (I have one in another tank. My jawfish came up missing aboiut a week or so ago you think maybe the worms got him?

DCF0001.jpg

DCF0003.jpg

Arrow crabs will eat the worms but it's really not necessary. The worms you have are bristleworms are great cleaner animals and are actually beneficial to your system. The difference between fireworms and bristleworms is that fireworms are thicker bodied and have more bristles and they are a threat to some inverts/corals. I'm confident that is not what you have. As for your jawfish, any number of things could have happened but the bristleworms would have helped clean him up. (although your nassarius snails probably got to him first) They wouldn't have killed him. Serpent stars won't eat bristleworms. I have alot of bristleworms in my seahorse tank and they swarm at feeding time. I don't mind since they are doing me a service by cleaning up the fallen food and keeping the tank and rocks clean.

Fluff said:
The difference between fireworms and bristleworms is that fireworms are thicker bodied and have more bristles and they are a threat to some inverts/corals. I'm confident that is not what you have.

no, they are not the same.

A fireworm is a type of bristleworm. Fireworms are veratious preditors and very destructive in the home aquarium. Your run of the mill bristle is beneficial and a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom