First corals. Questions on placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I finally introduced my first corals into my tank. I started with some relatively simple ones (I hope) but have a few questions. I purchased Sarcophyton sp., Sinularia sp, Cladeilla sp, and Protopalythoa sp

Is there any special placement considerations?
All but the Sarcophyton sp came attached to a rock and I just wedged that rock into my LR. For the Sarcophyton I just pushed the stim between two pieces of rock but it is not stable. Should I glue this in place? The Sarcophyton has not opened yet and is still sliming (3 days). Should I be concerned or doing anything different? Thanx for the help.

Make sure that the Sarcophyton has good flow, this will aid in the shedding process, otherwise shedding is normal. I would attach the sarco either with superglue or by rubberbanding. Depending on its size hermits and snails can easily dislodge loose corals. You can use the rubber band temporarily and once you're sure it likes the location glue it down.

Well it started to open up a bit today but I still did not like the placement so I attached to a rock using a rubber band as suggested. This appears to be pinching the base of the specimen? Will this do harm?

I would try to get a rubberband size that will hold it securely but not so tight as to look like you're cutting of circulation to your finger tight. Unless it pinched really tight it probably won't hurt it. If its a small sarco you could superglue it to a small LR plug and then rubberband the plug in place until you're sure it likes the location then epoxy it in place.

If it's real tight, it will simply cut through the flesh, if it's just snug, it will probably be OK, but either way you'll probably end up with two of them. I've never attatched a leather to a rock with a rubber band and been able to get the band tight enough to hold the coral in place and it not end up splitting the base of the leather into 2 corals.

In case anyone is intersted I found a good article on this subject in ReefKeeping

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.htm

excerpt "Indeed, stitching is one of the surest ways to attach "difficult" settling species such as green and yellow "finger and toadstool leathers", Sarcophyton and Sinularia, as well as Klyxum (AKA "Colt" coral… formerly Alcyonium), Cladiella and Neptheids. Common, branching soft corals in general respond very well to stitching. "

Anyone have experience stitching corals to rock?

Back
Top Bottom