First saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marco V

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my first and I've think I hit a road block, I have a sixty gallon display with a thirty gallon sump/refugium. Also 65 pounds of live rock and 130lbs of live sand . I think I'm done cycling the tank and have added a few snails to clean up , an still have about six damsels left from the cycling . What should be my next step ? Any help would be appreciated .

Did you test the water to confirm your cycling was complete. How long has it been running? Took me a month to do a raw shrimp cycle. Test salinity?

Definitely test your water parameters to know that you are finished cycling. If you are complete I would do a large water change to ensure your nitrates get down to zero.

What are you plans for the tank? FOWLR or reef? If reef you may want to return the damsels for more peaceful fish. Have you thought of a stock list yet? What equipment do you have on the tank? How long has it been up and running?

I did test yesterday and everything was as normal except nitrates was .05 and ammonia was @ .5 so I added some ammo lock . I had just the water and live rock running for 2 weeks then I added the live sand last Friday and the damsels 2 days later after the water cleared. How do I know that my cycle has completed ? I've heard that I should do a water change with a deep sand bed . Is that true ? Thanks.

Oh I forgot , I have a skimmer CPR overflow and 1 pump. That's it as far as equipment . I'll put up my test results later when I get home. Thanks again .

Just wait and don't do anything right now, your cycle isn't over. If you've only had the sand and fish in for a few days its just starting most likely. When your amonia and nitrite read 0 without adding chemicals then your cycle is done and you can add fish. You have 6 damsels in a 60 gallon tank. This is way too many as damsels are mean and territorial and will attack the new fish you buy. If you want a peaceful tank scoop them out now and take them back. Or if you're planning a damsel only tank you're on your way...lol Oh and it doesn't matter how deep your sandbed is, water changes are a must. Just don't stick the vacume into the sand, suck out only water and put in new.

Here are yesterday's test results :
Calcium 360
Kh 125.3
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.2

Thanks for the help , I'm reading as much as I can on to try and eliminate the same questions . The damsels were free , some gift huh? . Some old timer gave them to me do I can cycle the tank and I HATE those little ..... Lol . Sure are hard to catch with all these rocks .

I would not waste my calcium and alkalinity test kits until I was ready for corals. Just focus on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and salinity for now.

No I don't have any hermits , I was looking into getting one of those clean up crews online . Should I wait on getting those ? Thanks , guess imma save those test for later then .

Mr X - I have been a fan. Lol. You often say no hermits. I understand why, because my hermits continue to harass and at times eat my snails. But what do you recommend as a CUC?

A clean up is NOT a necessity really. If you do your water changes, dont' overstock and ont overfeed you really dont need critters to "clean" up anything. If you like hermits and snails then thats great too, add a few that you like. :)

I dont have much cuc really, but I happen to like the narsarius snails that bury themselves in the sand and come out for feeding time. lol I have like 100 or so between my tanks just because I like them. Also keep in mind if there isnt much for them to clean up then you have to feed them as well as the fish. lol

On that topic , my turbo snails are leaving behind a mess and it's just sitting on top of the sand and starting to accumulate. Is this normal ,how do I get rid of it ? Also is the brown on top of the sand going to go away when the tank is done with the cycle or am i doing something wrong ?

yes the brown is diatoms and they will go a way after a couple of months, don't sweat them they happen in every tank.

How will having bio rock affect the seeding of my DSB? Do I need to get more "live rock" ?

Mr X - I have been a fan. Lol. You often say no hermits. I understand why, because my hermits continue to harass and at times eat my snails. But what do you recommend as a CUC?
I agree with Carey. I don't use more eating, pooping, critters to "clean" my tank. The things in the tank that need food, the less food you have to put in and the better the water quality will be.

Increase the flow at the sand bed to keep waste from settling.

Back
Top Bottom