first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The camaro show

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone my name is chayse I'm 18 and just bought my first reef tank it is a biocube 29, but i have been into fish keeping for 7 years with my 90 gallon freshwater tank that I've had for 7 years now. Ive always wanted a reef and saw a great deal for this established tank $300 I paid for it it included 20# of live rock, a santa monica .6 algae scrubber, a hydro galaxy 165w led light, a huge colony of gsp and a rock anenome.

I bought a ecotech mp10 because i wanted the best for it, I also bought the stand and some kellion zuct power nano kit coral supplements and some other stuff.

I have added a plate coral a jason fox day glo and favias and some accropras from wwc I also added a long nose hawk fish and a cuc.

Last edited by a moderator:
My stocking plan is
long nose hawkfish
pair of black storm clownfish
orange spotted goby
tail spot or lawnmower blenny
sps and lps tank
lots of acopora

Do you have test kits for alk, calcium and magnesium? I have no clue what kellion nano supplements are but I’d be careful dosing anything until you know what the consumption rate is. Like brook said acros are tough. Some being easier than others. With testing and lots of care you can make them work in a 29 but they are not a beginner coral.

Also, pics!!! :)

Red Sea kits will get the job done for sure. Do you have pics of the system/corals?

heres the list of corals so far
orange plate coral $70
5 for $50 3 acros all are doing well
2 no name lps part of the 5 for $50
cornbread corals red sticky punch acro free gift
wwc wt-f acropora ebay $80
cornbread atomic fireball acro $59
jason fox dayglo favites $27
wwc bling bling cyphastrea $11
I think I got good deals

Last edited:
and my ph tester and phosphate checker are henna checker, I didnt go cheap on this tank lol also am using korallen zucht additives. This weekend will be the first water change using red sea coral pro salt

Hanna checkers are the best! You’re using rodi water right? Didn’t see that mentioned anywhere.

It’s kinda blued out rn and here’s my 90g too!

Attachments

• D7FDC8D7-5598-49AE-B327-6AF19FF15FEA.jpg
    D7FDC8D7-5598-49AE-B327-6AF19FF15FEA.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 66
  • FE3A0FD4-E216-4649-B9B5-749CDDB83E40.jpg
    FE3A0FD4-E216-4649-B9B5-749CDDB83E40.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 83
With coral,.look for a local forum or group, find local fragger... save some money. Those are some premium prices you put up. Not seeing it in the pic? Find a local and you could be pulling $5 frags..

Looks good so far. I know Jason fox has really nice stuff, same with cornbred. Hard to tell the colors in the pics but those prices don’t seem bad for higher end acros like what you got. I’ve seen cornbred frags for $150+.

I definitely agree with brook though on going to swaps or finding a local guy. Can find some killer deals and pieces for cheap. Especially until you have the tank growing easier acros.

Sounds like you are spending the money, if you are putting in the effort on maintenance and watching if the corals need to be moved around, it should grow up nicely.

Finding local members are great opportunities, and state or regional Aquarium Society local meetings (and other social media options I hear are good too). Often you can find an up and coming local hobbyist turning professional part time and web sales company and get good deals without the shipping cost.

Back
Top Bottom