first time mixing saltwater...help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymit21

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'm mixing saltwater for the first time EVER......how long do i have to let it mix before i can get an accurate SG reading? The water will be mixing until friday when i go pick up the tank, but i want to make sure i have enough mixed up before then.

Yep, 24 hrs with a powerhead seems to be the norm. Make sure at least the last part of that time is partially uncovered (so pH doesn't drop).

Keep the top on, but it doesn't have to be tight. You don't want a lot of evaporation on your pre-mix container or salinity will rise. Plus this prevents airborne contaminents from getting into the water.

Also, this is a brand new tank? On new tanks, you can mix the salt in the tank after you set it up, since there won't be any fish for several weeks this is an acceptable method.

In the future, make sure you also have a heater in your pre-mix container, as you want salinity, pH and temperature the same as the display tank.

If you do mix it in the tank, mix some (20% of the tank maybe) before adding any substrate. you don't want a bunch of fresh water trapped under the sand

you can also just mix it ALL before adding substrate. this avoids the problem I had where a lot of the salt I dumped in crusted over on top of the sand and had to be mixed up by hand

jaiden said:
If you do mix it in the tank, mix some (20% of the tank maybe) before adding any substrate. you don't want a bunch of fresh water trapped under the sand

you can also just mix it ALL before adding substrate. this avoids the problem I had where a lot of the salt I dumped in crusted over on top of the sand and had to be mixed up by hand

Sounds like you use IO salt? Try Oceanic salt. It disolves as soon as it drops into the water.

the tank is at somebody else's house and i'm transporting it here.....she's giving me the sand and 200lbs of live rock with it all. Will there be any problem with the live rock if i'm keeping some of her water and then adding the water that i've been making here??? I'm using IO which is what she uses, so at least that will be the same.

Ahhh, it makes more sense now, and it's goot that you're using the same salt in the beginning.

Keep the live rock in salt water the entire time transporting, and it should stay 'live'.

well the sand and everything is in the tank but i have to head off to work for a few hours....should i leave a PH running in the tank while i'm gone? or should i just let the sand settle first?

Back
Top Bottom