fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
i set up my aquarium about 2 months ago. currently i have a longnose hawkfish, who seems to be doing fine (i have had him for about 3 weeks) and recently i purchased a coral beauty angel.

my first issue is with the hawkfish. all i can convince him to eat is hikari pellets designed for small fish and mysid shrimp. i am afraid he is not getting enough variety in his diet to keep him healthy and maintain his coloration.

second is my coral beauty. she has not eaten at all. i was trying fortified flake food with algae in it, but she just looks at it, chases it, but does not eat it. i heard that coral beautys have very small mouths, as with pygmy angels in general, so is this the reason she wont eat? is there anything i can tempt her with? i am really starting to worry about her. is flake food the incorrect thing to be feeding her?

i would really appreciate any help you guys could give me!!!

How long have you had the coral beauty?
It could just be the stress of acclimating to a new tank. It may take several days before she starts eating.
Did you see the fish eat at the store before buying it?
What was it eating at the store? Try some of that.
Do you have any garlic xtreme? If not, try squeezing the oil out of a few cloves of fresh garlic and treat the flake with that. It only takes a couple of drops but the fish go nuts for it.

As for coral beauty, I just had one started to eat few days ago, after I purchased two days later. You try one of the follow, cyclop-eeze, mussles, or mysid shrimp, mine goes crazy for frozen mussles, but make sure its not too large. :D Mine don't like frozen brine shrimp, they eat and spit it out, but they do eat live brine shrimp. BTW, they seems to have a change of appetite quite easily, they just eat a few and would not eat any more, like you mention, they chase after the food and ignore it after getting close. Until the next meal time, they eat aggressively again. hee hee.

If the flakes are large then you can crush them up some in your hand before feeding. The coral beauty should also respond very well to nori sheets, aka marine algae or some thawed frozen marine food thats been mixed up so the particles are not to big.

Back
Top Bottom