fish food for thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dried Vs Frozen

• Dry food

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fresh/Frozen food

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I heard from the owner of my favorite LFS said that the staple of a marine fish's diet should be frozen/fresh food, for the simple reason that a fish does not see a dried piece of seaweed floating in the wild. Others say that dry food although not natural, is supplemented with veggies and nutrients that maintain health, and bring out the vibrant colors of marine fish.
What is your opinion and why? What brand do you use? Do you make your own? What vitamin supplements do you use?

There should be a both option. It's best to give your fish a varying diet of good, hearty foods.

Sorry to be frank, but live food is not practical. It is difficult to keep for long periods of time, and difficult to feed when you're rushing out the door. I think that I will feed live foods once or twice a week.

seafan said:
Blender Mush? please explain.

You take....
6 fresh shrimp
2 oysters or clams
2 sheets of dried seaweed
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped garlic with juice
golfball sized pieces of :
Tuna
Salmon
Ahi
small handfull of fresh scallops...
1 cup of water from my tank
1 big squirt of invert food

Place in blender till semi smooth...
Line cookie sheet with plastic wrap....
pour contents over plastic and freeze, next morning break into small serving sized chunks and put into tupperwear bowl !

when you make your own mix of frozen and dried etc... thats what i use, mush it all together and add some vitamins (i use Zoe by kent marine), freeze it and break off pieces as you need it. there is a link to a recipie online... um... i dont have it, but it was posted in a recent thread.... anyone?

Blender mush is when you make your own frozen creation. You can add some clams, fish, scallops, cyclop-ezze, flakes, pellet, krill, etc. and blend them to create blender mush which you will freeze for storage and take what you need for feedings.

I cant use oysters or clams (deadly allergic). However that sounds like a viable option.
BTW Ahi is tuna. (hawaiian)

Back
Top Bottom