Fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I am thinking of buying some fish from online, but don't know the steps of what to do before/while adding them to the tank, Any and all help would be nice...:whistle:

Not sure what you are actually asking :) From some experience though...

First, make sure you or someone who is familiar with acclimatization is home to receive. While the places I have used package their fish very well, it is pretty important that the poor things not sit for hours once they arrive before they see the light of day again. Plus, with the temps these days (hopefully things are going to cool off), the cold paks the stores place in the box aren't going to last that long.

Prior to delivery, I would say the day you order the fish, check your water parameters and do a PWC..about 30% or so unless some parameters are a little off.

There are two ways to acclimate...drip method, which is better for things like corals and inverts, and the ye old "float the bag" method for fish. You can find both methods at LiveAquaria.com under acclimation.

Aquarium lights should remain off and even the room shoud be dim...maybe no lights..just window daylight during the acclimation process and for a few hours afterwards. This is supposed to 1. reduce the stress and 2. get the critters used to light again considering they have been in total dark for anywhere from 12- 24 hours, stuck inside a box that probably resembles a hurricane while they are in transit.

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

The drip method can take a while but it seems to work well. I have used both methods for fish and only the drip method for the inverts. My recommendation for the drip method, however, is to get a hose clamp rather than tying the knots. Makes life a little easier :)

I have never ordered online...but I would think if you acclimate the fish properly, it would be better not to use chemicals...you run the risk of stressing them more...do you have a QT?

Also I am setting up a 55g tank, how long should I wait to get snowflake clowns? I know they are damsel family and damsels can be used to cycle a tank.

Codyheitmiller said:

Ok well then I guess I would do acclimations according to the link then...when I do acclimations, I keep the lights off during, and then off for the rest of the day...let's them find hiding spaces in a less vulnerable situation...then the next day I introduce light usually by opening the blinds, then waiting a while, then turning the room light on, waiting, and then finally the tank light...maybe overkill...but it makes me feel better :)

Codyheitmiller said:
Also I am setting up a 55g tank, how long should I wait to get snowflake clowns? I know they are damsel family and damsels can be used to cycle a tank.

Well I'm a freshie, but in any case, I would never use a fish to cycle a tank...a) it severely damages anatomical structures like gills...b) takes much longer, requires constant water changes (which in saltwater terms...means more expensive)! Plus if you are ordering this fish online...and drop it in an uncycled tank, even if you do a good job acclimating, the stress of travel followed directly by ammonia poisoning, would kill that poor thing lickity split!!

Codyheitmiller said:
Yeah, I like to avoid sunlight though due to algae.

I just meant for like 5-10 minutes...just so it gets natural light to adjust to, before a bright light right above it's head

Codyheitmiller said:
True, but I was going to get him from my work, good point though, I'll just wait.

Ya...I find patience is MOST rewarding in this hobby :) it sucks to have to wait that much longer...but when you see that cute lil sucker happy as a clam, your heart will just melt known you did right by him :)

Back
Top Bottom