Fish stocking guidelines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been trying to wrap my head around some feasible way to figure out reasonable stocking levels on a tank and have heard a few different thoughts thrown out there as to how proper stocking is done.

1. Stock fish based on display volume not system volume
2. 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons (seems outrageously understocked to me)
3. 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons
4. 1 fish per 10 gallons

I can see where stocking based on the display has merits but with a tank full of peaceful fish I don't see why that couldn't be a guideline that is looked over.

As for the stocking level I had 2 ocellaris clowns and a firefish in a 20g w/ 10g refugium and never had any issues with rising nitrates except for when my grape caulerpa wasn't getting enough light. Even with the 1 inch of fish per 5 gallon rule that would have put me at approximately a 35 gallon tank needed to keep them in.

So what I want to know is what guidelines you guys follow with stocking your tanks.

That 1 inch per gallon rule is crazy. I use common sense and research. You could easily had a yasha, yellow watchman, or a neon goby and be fine. It matters on bioload, filtration and current stock and the final size of fish. Just do your research and you'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom