fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so, running my 72, slowly adding corals, and really want to get some additional swimming life in there as well....

Any suggestions? So far have 2 firefish and a sleeper goby (think one of the firefish may be on the way out...big one is picking on the little one badly). Am planning on keeping polyps and mostly lps (so far a palythoa and an open brain). I'm looking for smallish fish, bright colors, and trying to stay as peaceful as possible. I tend to dramatically understock my tanks, but 6 inches of fish in a 72 gallon tank is a little silly ;)

On the list for my 36 I'm looking for a chalk bass and a 6 line wrasse. I saw an 8 line wrasse today...they are for a 50 gal and up. Maybe some Blue Reef Chromis?

On the list for my 36 I'm looking for a chalk bass and a 6 line wrasse. I saw an 8 line wrasse today...they are for a 50 gal and up. Maybe some Blue Reef Chromis?

Not a huge fan of the chromis honestly - just don't find them all that interesting...

Thinking maybe a flasher and a fairy wrasse (believe hte "exquisite" is rated for 70 gallons)...

I think you should get a bangaii cardnal, definitly some clowns, and a bicolor dottyback

I think you should get a bangaii cardnal, definitly some clowns, and a bicolor dottyback

You know, I actually love those cardinals...but for some reason my wife is freaked out by them. She hates the way they just float there, and their eyes creep her out ;)

I'm going the gramma route instead of the dotty - a little less aggressive generally, but similar in terms of coloration.

As for the clowns, I'm definitely going to add one eventually, just need to suss out which one. My wife really has a thing for tomato clowns which, personally, I dislike the look of. I am a traditionalist with my clowns: I like ocellaris, but wouldn't be against either a maroon or a black ocie.

It's challenging to do this part - so many of the fish I like are iether not reef safe, or just get too darn big. I love yellow tangs, but I know better. I love blue tangs, but DEFINITELY know better. I love butterflies, but I've been there and done that.

Doing my best to be as smart as possible because any time livestock is lost, I see the lost dollar signs in my wife's eyes (not to mention I get bummed out any time something doesn't make it)

I have 4 blue reef chromis and they are very neat fish. :) They are always together and are a bright dark blue, very colorful and very active fish. :)

I think the real issue is that I have 300 gallon desires but with 72 gallons of space ;)

Haha this might be the one time that you fully stock a tank! Haha ya i have 72 gallon desires with only 30 gallons of space! Your lucky ;)

crister13 said:
I would vote for the chalk bass. Amazing fish. Those wrasse are beauties too.

+1. I was researching Chalk Basses for my 29 Biocube. They are really cool, and I'm still considering one for that tank.

The chalkies are beautiful. That is definitely on my list...

Was chatting with the LFS guy today, and we are thinking a couple of wrasses (lubbocks, fairy) and one of the smaller anthias species as well. So maybe a lubbock, the anthias, a chalk, and a clown and call it a day for fish...does that sound like its appropriately stocked or too much? Total would be (fish only, not counting inverts):
2 firefish
1 sleeper goby
1 small anthias
1 lubbock wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 chalk bass
1 ocellaris

I'm ok with ditching the ocellaris if need be. What do you all think?

In a 72? I think you could put in more! But i know you probably wouldnt want to ;) haha nice list

In a 72? I think you could put in more! But i know you probably wouldnt want to ;) haha nice list

Heh, yea, I guess I need to try to adjust my expectations a bit. The last time I got this thing rolling I only had a few fish, but they were mostly large fish that really had no business being in this tank, even at smallish sizes.

Now I'm actually taking care of the tank, keeping my water changes on a regular schedule and doing them religiously. Doing all the things that one is supposed to do when taking care of a reef tank - all the things I was a lazy dude about before.

And of course I won't be adding all of those fishes at once...I'm taking my time and slowly alternating adding fish and corals. Today was a green star polyp, next week the royal gramma...week after will probably be some more zoanthids or a mushroom - something I can place nice and low in the tank.

Eventually I'd like to be confident enough that I can keep a bubble coral because they're my son's favorite - but I want to really crank on the easiest stuff first ;)

One more option for a smallish colorful fish is a Midas Blenny. Got mine not long ago and has become an instant favorite, always swimming in the open, bright yellow, and very neat swimmer.

I like your stock list now, but just in case...

OOooo yeah, a midas would be awesome. i loved mine while I had it, like said above, very active and colorful :)

Back
Top Bottom