fish to remove large bristle worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonero509

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently found a 3-4 inch bristle worm and was wondering what fish or invert might be best to remove one of this size? My local store currently has a flame hawkfish, and I have heard these do a good job.

Personally I wouldn't ever get a fish or invert specifically to get rid of one thing because what happens when that one thing is then gone? Also, a bristle worm isn't a bad thing for your tank, it is good at cleaning things up.

This worm is starting to pester my 2 spot goby. The worm has no fear and comes out whenever it feals like. I was looking to adding the hawkfish anyway, and heard they would eat a large worm like this.

What size tank to you have? What other kind of fish are in there? It looks like they (Flame Hawkfish) will eat shrimp and will also harass other bottom dwelling fish like your goby so you may be trading the worm for another even more visible problem.

They are a semi-aggressive species.

Plus there is no guarantee that it will take care of the worm, so then you could have yet another thing in your tank bothering your goby and never getting rid of the worm.

I recommend trying to trap the worm or catch it. If it comes out all times of the day then leave a net in the tank and start putting food in it. Once the worm gets comfortable you may be able to trap it in the net while eating. Or you can try other methods like using the bottle trap (you can look these up online).

How is the bristle worm bothering your goby, sharing it's hiding place or eating its food?

The bristle worms you have is babies compared to the ones I have in one of my tanks, in there they are about 10 to 12 inches long. In one of my tanks I have a CBS that is really the only tank I have problems with algae. I think the bristle worms have a lot to do with it since they are part of my CUC. I have more snails in that tank with the same lights and water flow as my other 24 gallon and more algae. The only real difference is one has bristle worms and the other one doesn't. I am hoping one of my friends will say I want a CBS and they can have mine otherwise I will just wait until he lives out his natural lifespan held like a pampered prisoner in my tank.

You can also just get a long pair of tweezers to get it out when it comes out they aren't that fast. I have actually picked some of mine up and moved them away from my maxi mini anemone so it could eat in peace. BTW they are still in my tank.

Ok, was there any point putting all the info into my bio? I have 2 pj cardinals, a false perc, a mandarin dragonet, a 6 line wrasse, and a 2 spot goby. The worm will try to grab the goby if they get close enough together. I do a 20% water change weekly, and feed once a day.

IDK, when I registered it asked for.all that info so admin would not have to ask these questions. I use the mobile app on my phone.

Ok, so I logged in with my browser, and the info is in the "my tanks". Anywho..

I also had a couple bristle worms in my tank. About 4-5" in length. They would also try to grab my fire gobies. I've got an adult flame hawk who didn't bother with the bristle worms at all. Normally the sixline you've got would take care of the worms. But with the worms being 3-4" I'd think they'd be too big for the sixline to see as a meal. A large enough lime green wrasse would probably eat the worms, but at that size he would bully the sixline a lot. My suggestion, and what I did, was to get a small syringe with some liquid calcium. When you see the worm out and about, blast him with the liquid calcium. He will literally disintegrate. Then just pull him (or pieces of him) out of the tank with tweezers or something.

Back
Top Bottom