fishmate for puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what type of fish I could put with my porcupine and dog face puffer? I know the two don't typically belong together, but I watched them in the LFS for a few months before purchasing them. They get along wonderfully.
The problem is the porcupine has eaten all the smaller fish I had. I just tried a naso tang (about 5"), but he killed and ate him within a week. :(
I have a 90 gal. tank with a protein skimmer, uv light, and a 20 gal bio-rocker wet-dry. I also have an undergravel filter.
The porcupine and dog face are both about 5 inches. Thanks for any advise.

if you put any fish with them that arent as aggressive, then they need to be a deal larger than the puffers. Triggers will normally get along, especially ones the same size. As with the tangs, get some that are pretty big, about 7".

P-MAN

Just keep in mind that the puffers, especially the dog-faced, and porcupine require a lot of swimming space. Usually, they would require at least a 125G. I too have a 90G tank, but they seem to get to large for it. The Naso tang gets quite large itself as well. Just food for thought when you start adding livestock to your tank.

Mike

Triggers and eels are both good options. Get good sized ones though. Also, when you introduce them into the tank, go ahead and hove around the rocks and decorations so they are all forced to find their own new territtory instead of defending the ones they have already established.

If you dont mind the venom on the side of lionfish. They make a very nice roommate

I would stick with those aggressive larger guys, warsse, lionfish, trigger. Or even the eel for variety. What about a grouper or a dampiera they are beautiful fish too!

Good luck
Christina

I have a 4-5" porcupine puffer in a 55 (for now). A hair algae outbreak caused me to buy a Kole Tang. The Tang was about the same size as the puffer, maybe a tad longer. The puffer ignores him like he is invisible.
Is your puffer well fed? They eat a lot. That's why I asked how big he was. If he's eating 5" fish, he must be pretty good size. The above suggestions are good ones. A large aggressive fish may be able to hold his own. Lots of LR will allow each fish to carve out some territory and avoid some of the aggression.

How much do porcs eat? I just got a 5.5" porc and while I don't want to overfeed him I don't want to starve him, either.

puffer feeding

I have a 3" porcupine. I have to feed him 2-3x a day. And, as they say, picky eater. I keep him fed enough that he hasn't bothered any of my other fish, just ate all my snails, of course. I'm about to post to see if there are any suggestions on a fish that will help clean with my stock.

Re: puffer feeding

adw77380 said:
I have to feed him 2-3x a day.

I would be very careful about overfeeding the puffer, they will eat themselves to death and overfeeding could cause some serious water quality issues. My porcy is about 10 inches and never bothers other fish, but produces a great deal of waste.

two rules for puffers ,never put another puffer in the tank ,does not matter if its a different puffer, they will figh and kill each other ,next you can put any fish with a puffer ,make sue is not to small that can be eaten then again my puffer is huge and has no interest in my small clown or angel
also keep in mind a box fish-cow fish-puffer all from the same family ,can nt have more then one to a tank, almost forgot lion fish and puffers dont do well either, I tried several tims ,either the lion stressed out the puffer or the puffer killed the lion other then that I have trigers-angels-tangs-clowns-groupers and eels with my puffer, no problem and its been about fiver years

I have a toby puffer and a DF puffer and they fget along great...... As long as the Toby stays away from the DF at feeding time. Been together for 6 months.

A trigger would be a great addition. I have a 110 with a Dogface Puffer and a Clown Trigger.They are both about 4 inches long.

I know this is a little off subject but I caught a 31" porcupine puffer on a pier in Miami Beach. It ate a whole cigar
eek2.gif

Back
Top Bottom