Fishy smell on new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keitech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 100 Gallon fish tank is 11 days old. Odor can be smelled from it; fishy smell. Is there a way to get rid of the smell or is it normal?

are you running carbon in the filter? if you arent, add some and the smell will likely clear up. a fishy smell is never normal, your tank should have a clean, earthy smell to it. try the carbon.

Was your tank new? It seems strange that while cycling a tank would deveope an odor. What is in your tank?

Sheesh sorry... multiple posts by accident.

The smell is ammonia because you have a huge bioload in a new tank.

Can you give us a list of everything in the setup.. like how much LR.. what filters etc...

Wow, well I am not one to beat the slow down drum. But....... I would say that it probably has something to do with he amount of fish in a new tank, combine that with any die off you could have it you have any live rock and you got yourself a wharf my friend.

What do you feed and how often. Is there a possibility that the smell is from food and not the tank itself. I once had a jar of freeze dried krill that smelled like the 3 day old sushi. Even is you just opened it a crack the house smelled of it for hours!

Besides that I would say that the smell will most likely go away once you start a pattern of regular water changes and maintenance.

Good luck

Just saw your profile and it didn't mention LR.. do you have any in there?

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

You might want to do a large water change anyway, because I'm guessing the levels are off the chart.

I hope the nitrate and nitrite or whatever it maybe are not off the chart. Since the tank is about 12 days old, I had taken a sample to the fish mart. Just last Sunday, they said the readings are fine. But caution not to put any more fish in there as it spike in several days.

As for live rocks, no I don't have any in there yet.

No offense meant to your LFS at all, but I would be very surprised if the bacteria population had increased to a point where the readings were fine in just a few days.

You should perhaps invest in some test kits and see for yourself.

I think the smell is a pretty good indicator that conditions are not quite ideal in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom