Flame Angel, now or later.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have debate. Right now i have a FOWLR setup, but it will be a Reef tank in about 3 months.
Currently i have a Yellow Tang, two Ocellaris clowns, a Purple firefish, and a Pink/Blue Spotted watchman Goby.

After a long time of debating with myself, i have decided to give a flame angel a shot in the reef setup.
My questions is.
Should i add the flame now and get him used to eat flakes, pellets, and frozen food, then add Corals one by one, or should i wait until i have corals first and then add him as the last fish.

I still want to add a few more fish later on a six line wrasse, and a royal gramma. But the LFS has the most beautiful flame i have ever seen. It was plenty of purple on him.

BTW- 90 gallon tank, 100 pounds of live rock, wet and dry filter.

I've never had an angel. I've only done reef tanks. I've just heard of too many cases where an angel was doing just fine in the reef, then one day....

Yeah i agree with austinsdad, but they require a minimum of 30G's.. so since you have a 90G tank, you *might* be able to get away with it. Still, if you plan on keeping a reef, i would just do the smart decision and skip the fish that may or may not munch on corals. Corals are expensive and delicate things. Well most of them anyways. I think it would be too great of a risk, wondering when or if you're fish is going to make a snack of some polyps or zoas. Who knows. Still, if you do go ahead and go with the reef and the angel, don't be surprised if you start noticing dissapearing corals. I hope that doesn't happen, i really do lol, but if it does don't say we didnt warn you. ;D

Good Luck!

Yeah i know it's very risky. That's why i don't know if i should add the flame before the corals or the corals before the flame.
My thinking was to add it first and get him used to the other food then add corals little by little. However, i'm not sure if once he's there already and then i add corals he might want to check them out and pick at them.
With this scenario however, i can see if he picks at them and right of the bat and therefore remove him right away before putting more corals.
On the other hand if add the coral first then put him in, he might just not bother them since it's not new to him. however, in this scenario if he picks at it once the coral is there, it's going to be nearly impossible to remove him without having to take everything apart.
I know the popular answer to this will be, not to add him to avoid everything.
But as they say Beauty killed the beast and i am stubborn.
Which of the above would likely be better? Anyone with actual dwarf angel experience?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. If you are going to get one that picks at corals, if you put him into a full reef tank, he's going to want to pick. If he's been there 3 months and you put a coral in, he's going to want to taste it and see if he likes it because it's new. I really don't think it'll make a difference one way or another.

Everyone has their opinions of this fish. It really is a shame they tend to be coral-pickers, because they are gorgeous fish. There are many people that have gotten lucky and had one that won't pick, so it is a choice and a risk to decide what you're going to do.

I will warn that catching these things is extremely difficult.

I will warn that catching these things is extremely difficult.

Most likely you`ll have to tear the tank down to get it out like I had to do. Mine were perfect citizens for 4 yrs and then as Ray said "then one day". I personally dont think it`s worth the risk but that`s just me.

Most likely you`ll have to tear the tank down to get it out like I had to do. Mine were perfect citizens for 4 yrs and then as Ray said "then one day". I personally dont think it`s worth the risk but that`s just me.

a buddy of mine had a coral beauty and it tore his softies and LPS's a new one after being in the tank for about a yr and a half bit it didnt mess with the SPS's, did your do that or did it just start on all of your corals? Ive read that they will be fine then one day it just clicks...

I got a flame and love watching him. I'm just a fowlr now but can already see the potential problem as he pecks at all of the LR but nothing else. We'll see what happens when i get some corals what happens. BTW he gets along with everyone in the tank. As neilanh said they are very difficult to catch and had to resort to Mikes tactics to get him out (Removed 150lbs of rock) and it still took me another hour using two nets to get the bugger. Believe me I didn't want to but had to because of an ich breakout, so all my fish are in their second week of HYPO in the qt. From now on everything goes thru QT because I'm not going thru that horror again. QT Everything, it is your best friend.

I have a bi colour, coral beauty and a flame angel all have never touched any of the corals LPS,SPS or soft’s.............. IMO it is just pot luck if you get one that does or not........... i have a blue trigger in my reef that is supposed to be not reef safe but he's been there over 18 months as the angels have without an issue............ guess i am the lucky one!!!!

Back
Top Bottom