Flame angle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really want to add a flame angle into my reef. I know there's a 50% chance that he will nip or even eat my corals but I think I might give it a try. I've seen many ppls got lucky and got a non-coral-eating dwarf angle. I have a few questions before i decide on anything tho

1. Do dwarf angles nip/eat any corals or just certain species?
2. Would a flame angle be compatible with my current 2 clowns and 2 chromis? Im also considering adding a sixline later
3. Check my profile to see if a flame angle woulb be suitable with my livestocks

TIA

Well first of all, I have a coral beauty currently in my 55 and after being with corals for about a month now he has not nipped at anything yet. Let's hope it stays that way. But on the other hand . . . IMO that seems like to many fish for a 29 gal. After you add that fish you would have the same number of fish I have in my 55 gal. Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't add another fish. HTH

Yea Id ditch the chromis if you want to add the flame. I only have 2 fish in my 30 one if them is a coral beauty who also has not nipped at my corals.

It looks like a lot of fish and corals. I think I counted 19...
Finger Leather soft coral
Candy Cane
3 different Zoos Colony
2 Red shroom
1 Unidentified shroom
2 Ricordias
1 Unidentified Stony Coral
Bubble Stony Coral
Hybrid of Frog spawn and Hammer
Pulsin Xenia
Galaxia
Open Brain
Disc Coral
2 Unidentified SPS

Yes i do have many dif. types of corals but most of them are tiny frags that i plan to grow out :)

About fish, all four fish are relatively small. The clowns are 1in. each, the small chromis is .75 in and the large one is 1.25 in. I've seen 29G's with more fish than this (Meleev's). Also, i believe my filtration is sufficient enuf for more fish.

EELectric, my fish are way smaller than yours XD

Anyway, can anyone answer my 3 questions 0.o

But the clowns and chromis will grow fairly large, I think that is the point he is trying to make.

1. Not all, but the Flame is one of the more likely to.
2. Yes
3. Yes

FishFrik said:
About fish, all four fish are relatively small. The clowns are 1in. each, the small chromis is .75 in and the large one is 1.25 in. I've seen 29G's with more fish than this (Meleev's). Also, i believe my filtration is sufficient enuf for more fish.

The darndest thing about small fish is they tend to grow along with the bioload they emit. :)

Save your $ for the 75g you are talking about this fall.

IMO, you are again stretching the capacity of your 29g. The thing about corals is not all play well with others. Even though you may want to grow out frags you still should limit the amount you have as they can adversely react with one another. Heck the bubble alone can develop sweeper tenacles several inches long that can kill neighboring corals.

Get that 75g or larger and use you 29g as a frag tank/fuge. Then try the dwarf or even a tang. Heck if you gave enough LR or a fuge you could safely try the mandarin you want.

For now save $ to get what you really want then you and your live stock will be happy. :wink:

Just my humble thoughts.

I didn't mean to being you down FishFrik it's just you have recently began this tank . . . (February 2006) and you seem to be on track just slow a bit down on the purchases . . . (especially the corals) and see how things are going. Yes, maybe you will be able to purchase another fish down the road, but IMO the flame, although I know it is a beautiful fish, is not the right purchase for you yet. But yes it would be a great addition to a 75 gal. tank. HTH

I had a flame in my 29 gal that recently died due to ich. When I had it I never saw it nipping at any corals. Although I had two baby mushrooms on a rock that aren't there any more and I know my clowns didnt eat them! :) I agree with everyone one else on this one. If you get one I'd wait for a bigger tank or at least get rid of the 2 chromis. As far as the frags go, I have quite a bit in my tank also so I'm not really one to talk, but I do think that once your corals start to get bigger you are going to have a few problems. Your anemone for one but also your galaxia, frogspawn and xenia. Just be careful and get ready to save some money for a bigger tank. You can't stop the addiction, just give in!jk ;) By the way Petco had the 75's for $180 where I'm at, I dont know about where you're at.

I have never had a dwarf speices that would leave my corals alone. I have been through two coral beauties and one flame angel and they have all been coral nippers. Not worth the risk or trouble, IMHO.

I agree with lando that I`ve never had an angel that did not either. I had a coral beauty that immediately started and a keyhole that took 4 years to develope a taste for corals. No more angels for me.

No angle for me then. O well, i wasn't really planning on buying one anyway. One being that it's too big (i like small fish hehe) and the chance that it might eat my corals scares me. The only reason i wanted one is because i wanted something to swim around the rockwork. My clowns always hang out at one spot. The chromis only swim near the top in 1 direction. I think i'll just try to save up for a 75G. The tank + stand is not that expensive but the LR + LS expenses are the problem. i want to add all LR and LS when i set up the new tank so... i think im gonna have to save up for quite a bit lol

Thanks for ur advices

EDITED:

Heck the bubble alone can develop sweeper tenacles several inches long that can kill neighboring corals.

Mmm im not sure if ur talking about the same buble coral but mine never form sweeper tentacles that are longer than .5in 0.o

Back
Top Bottom