Flameback angel keeps nipping at christmas moonstone (favia).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
The angel doesn't bother any other coral. Once in a while it swims by and nips at the christmas moonstone, favia. Seems it is liking the slime on the coral. I noticed the favia doesn't send out its tentacles anymore at night, because its probably very stressed. Plus, there are some slight white spots on the sides now. Please help! I love this coral, it has amazing color and it's encrusting on the rock. Can I cover the coral with something? Maybe glass? It's impossible to catch the fish

The African Pygmy? on occasion may nip at SPS and some species of polyp corals, not all do but I guess you got one

The African Pygmy? on occasion may nip at SPS and some species of polyp corals, not all do but I guess you got one

Yes, African flameback Pygmy. Ok so that doesnt answer my question, I know I got one that is nipping. I've done my research before I purchased it.

A temporary solution would be using a plastic light fixture diffuser from Home Depot. It is white with 1/2 inch spacing. Cut them with diagonal pliers to form a square box using tie wraps to hold them together. This will create a barrier cage for the coral.

I put in a plastic tray for critters into my tank for frags or for your case to protect it till it recovers

Attachments

• image-2226401242.jpg
    image-2226401242.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 131
I've often seen fish or inverts that decide something is food and nothing will change their mind on the topic. Even if the coral manages to recover it will go back to being nipped at when it is placed back where you want it.

You could try feeding the fish in close proximity to the net to get them used to it or possibly various types of traps for the fish.

A temporary solution would be using a plastic light fixture diffuser from Home Depot. It is white with 1/2 inch spacing. Cut them with diagonal pliers to form a square box using tie wraps to hold them together. This will create a barrier cage for the coral.

I also read I can use a strawberry basket to cover it. Is that the same idea? Hopefully it breaks the habit. The fish doesn't bother any other corals, and I have frogspawn, hammers, and lots of other polyps

Back
Top Bottom