Flitration Idea perhaps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need your opinions guys and gals - All input is welcomed. :D

I have a new 125G wet/dry system coming in on Friday for my 90G tank. I know the bio-balls have been problems with nitrates, so I am brainstorming an idea here to avoid using that process:

I mainly bought this system so I could hide all the equipment below (skimmer, heater, canisters, etc.). Good price! Here is the real question:

Can I use my 2 Fluval 404's for filtration in the sump rather than using bio-balls? I only have 65lbs of live rock in the main tank, so it wouldn't be enough to be considered effective filtration on its own. Secondly, what could I use in place of the bio-ball compartment? The canisters do a pretty good job, but ugly in the main tank. What do you all think of this process, and is it doable? TIA

Mike

I would remove the bioballs and replace them with LR rubble. Skip the Fluvals all together. I got my LR rubble from myLFS. They just collected it all from the LR shipments they received and gave it to me. Sweet deal. You may have to source it out, but it is worth it. You can even offer to pay a couple bucks a gal. for it. IMO, it is a far superior filtration media then bioballs. Chck out my gallery, I have some pictures of my sump there. Now I have about 40 lbs of LR rubble in my sump.

That is an awesome idea Lando! Thanks! I just want to do this right the first time, and not have to worry about changing out the balls later. I want to continue to have 0-.25 nitrates as I do with the Fluval canisters. Obviously, your nitrates are low considering all the beautiful things in your tank. Thanks for the advice. :D

Mike

I bought an Aqualine? (I think) - Company name was Aquatic Marvels. It is a 125G Wet/Dry fliter with pre-filter, hoses, and pump (cap 2200), off Ebay for $144.00. I figured I would pay the same price for a sump, so why not. I don't have the skills to build one myself.

Lando - How much LR rubble do you think I would need for this sump? And can you recommend a place to purchase it from. Thanks!

Mike

Get as much LR as your sump will hold. the key is keeping the water line above the LR rubble at all times. So you will need some extra space in there. I would just start going to the LFS and asking what they do with all of the rubble chunks thast come in the LR boxes. See if they will just give it to you. I found out mine was just throwing it away becasue they had no use for it. Another place here sells it for $3.50/lb. I do not see any reason you should have to pay for it though. Just make sure you cue it like normal LR before adding it to an exsisiting tank.

Using a lot of LR rubble in your sump will trap the waste just like the bioballs....
IMO a small amount of LR rubble is fine but packing it will only cause trouble down the line just like balls. Yes it is better filtration but there are no critters to clean like in the tank so the waste will just build up. IMO a sump is designed to be bare, the skimmer heater pumps only.
If large enough a fuge can be put in for caluerpa and some LR. I would rather see the rubble go in the main tank after cured behind the existing LR you already have making nice places for pods to grow. Or save up for a few extra lbs of LR.
What kind of bio load do you have? If low you should be fine with 65lbs of LR till you can get more.

Right now, my load consists of a Niger Trigger, Carpenter Wrasse, Foxface Lo, a Hermit crab, a couple of Damsels, and a Sea Anenome. I plan to get a couple more things, but I am just taking my time. Does this qualify as a high, or low bio load?

Mike

In a 90 IMO thats low bio load, Adding the sump or W/D will help by adding more water volume. I would get more LR when you can and if you do get rubble I would add most to the tank and less to the sump or w/d.
Crabs dont add to the bio load so they wont count. As long as you don't over feed you will be fine. Do you have and PH in the tank seeing as your getting rid of the canister returns?
You will need a PH for the sump return also..... Dose that come with the w/d?
setting up redesigning tanks can be fun....

Right now, I have 2 PH, and 2 pumps in the tank for brisk filtration. The W/D is coming with a Cap2200 pump. Hopefully that will be all I need to get this started. It's supposed to be here tomorrow as well as my new MH 250W 14k retro I ordered. 2 toys in one day..overwhelmed! 8O

Mike

Using LR rubble in the sump will not cause trouble down the road. It harbors the same beneficial bacteria that LR does. When kept completely covered with water it will be fine. Bioballs are ment to have water trickeled over them. This type of aerobic environment is not as good at removing nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom