Flooding drama- had to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Advice on sump needed.
Woke up at 4.15am with my hubby yelling as the tank was overflowing from the top at a a rapid speed and the sump was being drained. Confused and rushing ( beige carpet in a rental ) I turned off the individual power points and this stopped more water emptying. Carpets FLOODED. Why? We checked the system, the overflow was still in position...why? Culprit found- The anemone decided to sit over the top of the PVC weir and blocked it off so the sump backed up into the tank :banghead:

Meanwhile, hubby yells after I hear a buzzing noise and got electrocuted while pulling the plugs out- oops. Didn't turn off the power at the wall :brows:

A bit concerned now that if I am at work or go away for a weekend etc, this cheeky anemone may decide to climb back up to the top of the weir for a look around.

Am I able to turn off the sump for an amount of time and rely on live rocks and the wave makers for filtration? I think this tank is taking over my life - not like my cichlids lol

PS. Hubby is ok. Felt a bit sick as the shock went through to his chest but was still a trooper and continued to help clean up. Ever the more cautious to touch the plugs though ...

Last edited:
Maybe you could build something I block it off by using pieces of plastic with holes in it ?

That is scary. Perhaps some type of plastic mesh or grate to keep the anemone or other inhabitants from blocking the overflow. Maybe install a second overflow for piece of mind.

Sorry to hear about your husband, I'm an electrician and have been shocked a number of times, never fun. I would think adding a barrier would be best. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that some egg crate made into an L shape would work best. Basically adding an additional weir in front of the main one. Egg crate is cheap and found at any hardware store (often under the name of flourescent lighting diffuser) it can be super handy to have around. After typing this I am somewhat curious how one nem was able to slow the flow enough to cause a flood. The weir should be able to handle restriction or blockage. I'm suspecting the return should be turned down some and that would help this issue. If not then resort to building a primary weir, that way if the nem blocks part of it there is still more than enough flow through the rest that it won't be a problem.

In designing the sump systems, there are 2 CRITICAL things you must consider.
1. Power loss. until the tank stops draining, the sump MUST be able to take all the overflow and backflow water without overflowing.
2. If the overflow stops for any reason, and the sump continues to return water, your DT MUST be able to handle all the extra water, until the return pump pumps the return section dry and burns out.
You have a planning issue with the second consideration. Even after you fix the anemone issue, you should really lower your DT level to prevent overflows.

#2 is an issue I had not thought about. Good advice as I am getting ready to set up my 240g..,I was more worried about the sump being large enough.

In designing the sump systems, there are 2 CRITICAL things you must consider.
1. Power loss. until the tank stops draining, the sump MUST be able to take all the overflow and backflow water without overflowing.
2. If the overflow stops for any reason, and the sump continues to return water, your DT MUST be able to handle all the extra water, until the return pump pumps the return section dry and burns out.
You have a planning issue with the second consideration. Even after you fix the anemone issue, you should really lower your DT level to prevent overflows.

Hi Ingy- we faced two flooding problems when we were setting up when I turned off the sump to feed ( I thought I read this ) The sump overflowed and we soon worked out what levels we required for this.
Your 2nd point though I am unsure of. DT? Is that the main tank? So are you saying my water levels for my main tank should be low enough to cope with the sump water being returned? Being only 2ft x 2ft x 1.5ft the levels would be quite low however this was the problem we faced yesterday. Wouldn't the return pump still burn out anyway?

Sorry to hear about your husband, I'm an electrician and have been shocked a number of times, never fun. I would think adding a barrier would be best. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that some egg crate made into an L shape would work best. Basically adding an additional weir in front of the main one. Egg crate is cheap and found at any hardware store (often under the name of flourescent lighting diffuser) it can be super handy to have around. After typing this I am somewhat curious how one nem was able to slow the flow enough to cause a flood. The weir should be able to handle restriction or blockage. I'm suspecting the return should be turned down some and that would help this issue. If not then resort to building a primary weir, that way if the nem blocks part of it there is still more than enough flow through the rest that it won't be a problem.

Thanks. Will have to read over this a few times to get my head around how it will work with my tank. Will post some pics of the set up. Being a smaller tank makes it more difficult. Was thinking that I should consider a canister filter?
He went to hospital and was advised he suffered some muscle damage to the heart so it was a pretty bad shock after all. Scary.

That is scary. Perhaps some type of plastic mesh or grate to keep the anemone or other inhabitants from blocking the overflow. Maybe install a second overflow for piece of mind.

Thanks- Hubby was saying the same however we still need to consider a plan to address Ingy's 2nd point.

Return and weir

Attachments

• DSCN1733.jpg
    DSCN1733.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1745.jpg
    DSCN1745.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1741.jpg
    DSCN1741.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN1739.jpg
    DSCN1739.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 105
With that converted wet/dry sump design, one thing you might be able to do to reduce the amount of water that can pump out is to raise the return pump. As to the burn out question, yes it will burn out if the DT (Display Tank) stops syphoning water to the sump. But a new pump is probably cheaper than a new carpet and cieling for the apartment downstairs.

You really have to have gfi in all your wall outlets that your reef uses. Unplugging wet arcing plug while sanding on wet carpet is a sure way to get electrocuted, of stop your heart

Actually, if all your aquarium outlets are on the same circuit, you only need one GFCI outlet on the outlet closest to the breaker/fuse box. All outlets downstream on that circuit will be protected by that single GFCI.

Actually, if all your aquarium outlets are on the same circuit, you only need one GFCI outlet on the outlet closest to the breaker/fuse box. All outlets downstream on that circuit will be protected by that single GFCI.

True, but if the one fails, then you are completly unprotected

Not sure what a GFCI or GFI is but by the way it is used in your comments it sounds like a circuit breaker or power surge protector ? The power board had a surge protector but didn't work. I turned off the main power to the power board which was connected by an extension lead. Hoping there is not a next time but if there is, I will be going straight to the wall plug (which is well away and dry) to turn off the power.

With that converted wet/dry sump design, one thing you might be able to do to reduce the amount of water that can pump out is to raise the return pump. As to the burn out question, yes it will burn out if the DT (Display Tank) stops syphoning water to the sump. But a new pump is probably cheaper than a new carpet and cieling for the apartment downstairs.

Ahhhhh good idea!!!! Thanks! :brows: Fortunately we are on a concrete slab so no damage underneath- just need to get carpets cleaned again if the residue salt discolors.

You really have to have gfi in all your wall outlets that your reef uses. Unplugging wet arcing plug while sanding on wet carpet is a sure way to get electrocuted, of stop your heart

Yep...learned the hard way but at least his heart is still ticking :)

Back
Top Bottom