"Floppy" New Toadstool Leather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added this to my tank this Week and it seem's 'extra' Floppy. It came connected to a smallish flatish rock. The "Stem" area under the head is about 6", but seems to "curve" around and connected to the rock. This is my first leather, and I'm not sure if this is normal until it acliamates or if it has some problems.

Any Advice?

Thanks
SW2

Attachments

• 1_171.jpg
    1_171.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2_362.jpg
    2_362.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 73
Float in Bag to Temp Acclimate for about 30 and then Slow drip for about 3 hours, Entered Tank with Lights out and Powerheads off. Heads went back on after a couple hours and lights were off until the next AM normal cycle time (It went in the tank about the time the lights go off anyhow.

SW2

melosu58 said:
How is it looking now? I`m just thinking it was sloughing.

About the same, but he/she moves around (stretches out and back) some and I am seeing the "tentacles", which I KNOW is the improper term, extend from the face or top of the leather. Lights are already out, otherwise could post a new pic...

SW2

If the base looks healthy I would not worry too much about it yet. It takes several days for some corals to settle into their new home. You can also try moving it to a different location in the tank where it may be happier.

Did you get this leather locally and see it before it was removed from the tank?
Was the rock in the same position you have it in?
I haven't seen a healthy one lay on it's side that much so I'm wondering if it will flop over if you tried to postion it with the stalk facing up?

Sarcophytons are hardy corals, but do adjust to new conditions rather slowly. The positioning looks quite normal during first placement, but water flow and lighting are important to this sp. so keep that optimal. As far as "floppiness," are you just referring to the positioning or the feel of the stalk is actually soft and maleable? The stalk should have some firmness and if there was a deterioration you would've smelled it before placement. Leave well enough alone for now unless obvious decay sets in.

If your not already, I would suggest running activated carbon, at least while it settles in. When stressed and/or sloughing corals can release allelopathic toxins, especially soft coral such as leathers, that can irritate/stress other animals in the tank.
FWIW Light acclimation can be tough on new additions. Did you shorten your lighting schedule or shade the tank by raising the lights or placing screen over the top when it was first introduced? That can help lessen the overall stress of adjusting to a new home.

Back
Top Bottom