Florida Condi Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I'm thinking of getting a Florida Condi Anemone for my clownfish. What do you guys think? Good choice? Bad choice?

Also, what do you guys think of www.saltwaterfish.com? They have them at www.saltwaterfish.com for $6.99 with free shipping. However, every single item they have is a "wishlist item" that is sold out. What's up with that.

TIA,

$imple

Just FYI.... clowns won't host condy's.... but they are about the most hardy anemone.......

I've heard of them hosting condi's but I wasn't sure if this is usual behavior or a rare instince. Anyone else?

A general anemone question, if they sting, how do you put them in the tank, and does the sting affect humans?

I was just checking out saltwaterfish.com and I believe that everything is on "wish list" because they are closed for the holidays. Maybe try after they start shipping again. I think that that will be on January 3. HTH. :)
Thanks for that website. I will be bookmarking that.

There is not a very good chance the condy will host your clown so do not count on it. On the up side...the condy is a hardy anenome that requires less light them most so it is a good choice in that reguard. Check with the rev, I think his clown and condy hooked-up.

I've had a few condy's and a few clowns and never had them host.... the anemone won't "sting" you ... it just sticks to your fingers......

It warns you at the bottom of injury or death occuring from a sting. Is this just a bunch of BS or what?

I think the injury or death could occur if you were allergic to it and had a bad reaction. They have to put a disclaimer on there so they can't be held responsible for it. Other than that, I have handled condy's before and never felt a sting. They are very hardy, and a good one start with.

Mike

OK...so regardless or not whether my clowns will host, do you guys agree it will be a good first anemone?

If there is a mated pair, and one of them adopts the anemone, will the other do so automatically?

I think the Condy is a good Anemone to start with. Just check for lighting requirements as all Anemone's have different requirements, and you should be fine. I'm not sure about the Clown hosting with this particular species, but it's worth a shot. It is also possible that the Condy may eat the Clown as well. I would research this particular Condy to make sure it is really what you want. There are many out there that will allow a Clown to host with them.

Mike

I have a purple condy that is currently hosting 2 clowns ( a percula and a sebae) It took a little while for them to warm up to each other, but now they are inseparable. I would agree that it is a good first choice, but I also had one that I returned to the LFS because he actually ate several of my fish.

I have been personally stung by Florida condy's while snorkeling. There is nothing to worry about it is just like getting a bad rash.

I had a condy anenome in my tank with an occelaris clown.They never bonded but i didnt expect them too.Gave it to a friend.I think bubble tips host most clownfish and are easier to keep than others.

" What does host mean like go in make it there home if so what would be a good anemone for them to "host" then"

You will know it when you see it. The clowns rub and wiggle all over the anenome. They wallow with wild abandon and and then peek out at you from the arms of the anemone. Nothing else quite like it. They will "spit" food into the anemone.

The purple condy that hosts my clowns I bought with the sebae clown already bonded from a LFS. Since then, the percula has also taken up residence. No major tussles between the two clowns,

Since my Condy is in the tank with other fish, he gets fed in that fashion. Usually once a week I target feed him various foods such as pieces of Krill and shrimp though.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom