Flower pot coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. I don't think I've ever had a coral just flat out die on me, but my flower pot coral did.

Don't buy them. They shouldn't be collected at all. They like turbid water, the exact opposite of what you are trying to create in your reef. In the old days, they sold because they die slowly.

have mine 6 months now actually its finicky sometimes it opens full others times it don't open for a week but since I changed out lighting its doing better, my clown loves feeding it and it seems to tolerate him

54seaweed said:
have mine 6 months now actually its finicky sometimes it opens full others times it don't open for a week but since I changed out lighting its doing better, my clown loves feeding it and it seems to tolerate him

Well good luck seriously because mine didn't make the 3 month mark :(

I have seen guys cultivating these like they were weeds, but they don't like our super clean reef water. I got over them, they have similar looking corals that don't die as easily.

I liked how mine looked, but as my tank became cleaner it began to decline. Out is astrange coral. Mine it's receding and the lower polyps extend down during the day to cover the skeleton. I've never seen anything like it.

Wait, they like dirty water? Here I was trying to take extra care of my water quality.

Very interesting read. I'm well aware that it is dying slowly, just didn't think I could do anything about it since I have no reefers near me that would be able to house it. But after that read, I'm now thinking back when it was doing well...when I did not have a skimmer on my reef tank and I had algae problems... It sounds to me that it just likes a dirtier water, to which I'm pretty convinced that several soft corals are the same way.

I do have a light on my sump, though it is not currently on as I dismantled the fuge since my skimmer is way oversized for my current system in preperation for an eventual upgrade. The bulb is a 40 watter...so that would def need to be upgraded and there isn't any substrate in there...but it is "dirtier" overall in the sump with some algae growth in spots. I just don't think that putting it in the sump would solve the problem since it just seems to me like a water quality issue to me. If I'm off in left field with how I'm taking the issue, feel free to correct me. That tied in with having it go from my radions to a clip on work light would be just as deadly to it to me.

Inspiring article though, I would love to be able to keep one of these guys successfully. Sorry OP if I'm stealing the spotlight for a sec.

actually got 2 , 1 round 1 oblong , the oblong I thought would be dead by now I had to cut off dead flesh where it turned black and peel it off but it came back stronger than ever even where I peeled it back as you can see
the one to the left is the one I cut up

img_2123879_0_8153987eba09fb94f2e162f9e54641ea.jpg

This is mine a couple days ago I have had it for about 6-7 months and I have never had an issue with it ( knock on wood ) . It gets double the size it is in the picture .

Attachments

• image-950230868.jpg
    image-950230868.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 84
I have seen guys cultivating these like they were weeds, but they don't like our super clean reef water. I got over them, they have similar looking corals that don't die as easily.

What is the similar looking one that doesn't die as easily? :popcorn:

Well I put mine on the substrate. Had it for like 6 months and it's grown almost double. But I find there is and under tow that runs along the substrate and detritus moves along it. And it doesn't like any other areas in my tank. Maybe that will help u

Back
Top Bottom