Fluval 105 or 205

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to start a small sw tank (10 gals). I really want to try out a canister filter due to look and how quiet they are said to be.

The price difference on amazon is $5. I do plan to upgrade in the future.

Which one?

Go for the bigger one for $5 more. thats my thoughts on it. I just paid .41 cents more for an aquaclear 50 over a 30. lol

FOWLR or Reef? If reef go with an aquaclear. You will be servicing it more often because of how easy it is. More work with a canister filter. However, I do run an Eheim on my FW but not use carbon so I'm only cleaning it every 3 months - not recommend with a reef.

I use a fluval 305 on my 55g and have never had a problem with it. I cleaned it monthly and never nitrates in mine. It;s just a matter of maintenance is all. I would have to agree though that an aquaclear is an excellent filter for saltwater, you can change the media to what YOU want and need as time goes on.
If an aquaclear I would go with the 30 or the 50.

I have an AC50 on my 20g coral tank now and its working out well.

Ok just making sure that it wont toss everything around in my tank

Thanks again carey :)

No for a reef? It will be corals and no fish

Will it still look nice and be quiet? I guess i may not get the experience with canisters just yet lol

My aquaclear is pretty quiet as long as you keep your water level up, or else you'll hear a slight splashing as the water coming out hits the top of the water. But otherwise, yeah an AC is excellent. Super customer service and these filters last forever. I've been using them since the 1990's. LOL

I trust them so much I added it for a mostly coral tank with just teeny tiny fish.
;-)

so i should probably stick with an aquaclear 30 or 50? More money for corals!

I would agree. I canister is probably not the best choice for that size tank. :)

Ha thats what i was thinking but I was going to try to get some experience. I am building my 10 gal at college now, hope I dont get in trouble!

My aquaclear 70 is quiet usually and keeps my 37 crystal clear and low maintenance!

Corals only. School doesnt allow fish. Corals or anything like that.

What should I have as media for an ac50?

I just use the sponge, carbon and biomedia. The stuff that comes with the filter.

Youre gonna need some decent lights to just grow coral. This is a a regular 10g tank correct? 20inches in length?

Yep picked it up today and smuggled it in lol. Ok I will definately use them then. Are lights going to be cheaper than the 20 long?

Should be. The 30" lights are hard to come by but the 20" ones are just as hard to find. What kinda corals are you looking to keep? That will dictate the lighting

Hopefully the basic ones. Still doing lots of research. Know any to start? I will definately need to cycle my tank right? At least lr and ls will be cheaper. Also what are "frags"? fragments that grow? I have been looking at that pet place since I may try to take a train out there and not ship anything living.

Corals With lots of different colors hopefully

Frags are just "fragments" of larger mother colonies of corals. They just cut or slice them off and glue them to plugs. Some grow really really fast too.

Zooa's, mushrooms and leathers and LPS too. All good corals and basic too. lemm see what I can find in 20" length. Do you have a budget?

Back
Top Bottom