foam on surface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
at first it started as some bubbles on the top of the tank, and i did a 3 gallon water change on my 20 gallon tank. now its become a good sized foam ball in one corner? though bubbles are all over the edges

ammonia and nitrites are 0

the only thing i've done somewhat recently was remove some sand, and add carbon to the filter (not using any media)

this familar to anyone, the tanks almost a month old

You say the tank is a month old. Did you wash it out with soap or another cleaner. My suggestion would be to do frequent PWC`s and GAC. This should remove the impurities that are causing this. Alot of times when this is happening you`ll see a film on the water. Do you see one?

Are you using a skimmer or an overflow box?
Have you tried removing the foam manually?
You could try scooping under it with a papertowel to remove most of it and see if it comes back.

Of course, that's just my own guesswork in addition to more experienced advice like from melosu. So take it for what it's worth... :wink:

loyalrogue said:
Are you using a skimmer or an overflow box?
Have you tried removing the foam manually?
You could try scooping under it with a papertowel to remove most of it and see if it comes back.

These will work also. They are good suggestions.

i removed the foam ball before posting this, it was real smooth feeling it that provides any info.

i did not use any cleaners on the tank, and carbon has been running in it for a few days, i don't have corals yet, so i'm keeping light to a minimum to kill off a good bit of algae first.

i didn't see any "film" on the top layer. nobody thought that stirring up the argonite sand bed may have done something?

thanks

I get that film/bubbles when my skimmer needs adjusting. I agree it sounds like you may need a skimmer hooked up to remove some of the particles that are bubbling out of your water.

I get this when my skimmer needs adjusting also. One other thing, I noticed that when my lift tube for the overflow box needed cleaning, there wasnt as much of a "waterfall" effect into the over flow box and then there would be a film on the surface of the tank.

Cleaning the lift tube and overflow would solve this

They aren't really harmful, just DOC's, which come from food, waste, etc. They are the major fuel for algae as well. The way a protien skimmer works, is by making bubbles contact the water, which in turn "lift" the DOC's out of the water. The only problem I'd see with them being in there is having the fuel for algae, and maybe blocking out some light for corals, though it'd be minimal. If you are having algae issues, adding a skimmer might be a big help.

Back
Top Bottom