food for all.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micro_suds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi gang,

i'm in need of a food that will feed all my tank inhabitants! i remember seeing something about "blender mush" ?? will this feed all of my tank inhabitants at the same time? where can i get the recipe? below i've listed what i've accumulated so far for livestock. i feed my corals and inverts zooplex by kent marine and it seems to work great, but i need an all purpose food for the fish!

tank inhabitants:

1 green carpet anemone
1 rose anemone
1 maroon clown
1 sailfin tang
1 flame angel
2 purple firefish
1 large chromis
2 cleaner shrimp
3 flower pots
1 mushroom
1 squamosa clam
1 maxima clam
1 carnation

80 gallons

thanx,

3 flower pots

Good luck with the flower pots they dont have a very good survivability rate in aquariums.

Now on the the blender mush.

This is what I added to my blender mush when I made my batch (im stillusing my first batch). All this seafood should be raw.

Squid
Oysters
Shrimp - with shell if found
Scallops
Fish
Seaweed
Saltwater

You wont need much of each item (less than 1lb)

What I did was add some of each item into the blender and blend till it was nearly liquified. Then I added some more of each and blended again. I kept repeating this process till I had a rather thick milkshake type liquid. You will probably need to add either freshwater or saltwater to the mix to water it down some as it will get very thick. Once you have a very good mixture of particle sizes then pour into ziplock frezzer bags and press it out so you have a bag full of blender mush that is maybe 1/2" thick then lay in frezzer. Break off a small chunk when you want to use it.

Note this food is concerntrated and every bit of it is food. Its easy to overfeed this mush and polute your tank. I acutally feed this like once or twice a week.

Note this food is concerntrated and every bit of it is food. Its easy to overfeed this mush and polute your tank. I acutally feed this like once or twice a week.

Do you feed flakes or pellets then as your staple food and then just add this in as a "treat"?

Actually no i dont feed flake or pellet food. I daily add dried nori to the two tanks that I have tangs in. I use about 1/2 to 1/3ed of a 8X11" sheet per day on each tank. All my fish seem to eat this as their staple along with other natural fish foods that they find in the aquarium like small crustations and shrimp eggs, algae, etc.

Pettets and flakes

I used to use the frozen krill for my puffer as a snack and then feed with a pellet and some flake for the smaller fish.

Over the years, I have gotten lazy and now only feed Tetra jumbomin sticks? I take my finger and crush it for the clown and the puffer eats the sticks no problem.

I usually feed twice a week. Am I under feeding them and promoting malnutrition?

I like your blender mush idea.

I went ahead and made up my own "blender mush." Fish, squid, scallops, & shrimp. Then I added in Zoe and some marine pellet/flakes as well. I wanted to gag pouring the mush into the zip lock bags...

I forgot to add the darn Nori though. I guess I will have to crush it up by hand and add it. Although my clown refuses to eat any kind of flake foods including the Nori. So far he will only eat pellets.

One thing FF. Do you break off a quarter size piece and throw it in the tank and let it thaw as they eat it, or do you thaw it in a cup of water and then pour that cup in the tank?

I made my first batch of blender moosh. My Crabs, Lobster, and tang seem to love it. costs wayyyyy less then the frozen food at pet stores.

Ingredients :

Seaweed sheets.
squid.
shrimp.
mussels.
scallops.

Back
Top Bottom