Food for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best food i can feed my xenia's and future corals? right now im using zooplex. i heard marine snow was really really good. any thoughts?

Xenia will appreciate good lighting and flow. The only addition that may benefit xenia is iodine. I would recommend doing 10-15% PWC's weekly to keep levels in check rather than dosing trace elements. Feeding your fish food high in iodine like crab, shrimp, etc. may introduce it into the water as well.
As far as other coral goes it really depends on exactly what you have as to whether or not planktonic foods, and which type, will benefit them.

I would only recommend feeding to people w/ some experience. With newer hobbyist and newer aquariums keeping nutrients low is usually difficult enough w/ out adding unnecessary foods/nutrients to the tank. There are only a few corals that need target feedings, and they are mostly the non-photosynthetic ones for ex. sun corals, some gorgonias, etc.Not good corals for beginners anyway. Good lighting, good water flow, and fish food/waste is plenty for most corals, and there is no risk of fouling up the tank. Maybe 6-12 months down the road for some extra growth or "pop" you could try some micro-foods, if you feel it even necessary. Many of the micro-foods sold are garbage anyway IMO. FWIW many LPS coral can just be fed small pieces of meaty food, shrimp, krill, mysis shrimp, etc. occasionally. They have polyps that are big enough for larger food items. HTH

I agree with Mike. Just make sure they have plenty of good lighting and good water parameters. When your tank is more established then I suggest DT`s Phytoplankton and DT`s oyster eggs. I`ve also heard of people using a blender mush that they feed their fish and corals with.

Back
Top Bottom