For those who have/had Powder Brown Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a powder brown tang that is just about finished being in the QT. Within the first few days of putting him in the QT i noticed he had some type of white growth on his mouth. It was very obvious and stuck out. After a few days it was gone. However, looking closely at him now, I do notice some white on his upper jaw. I think it is teeth but I just am being very cautious. Do powder brown tangs have very distiguished and easy to see teeth on their upper jaw??? If somebody who has one could take a peep I would appreciate it. I have a hippo tang in my main tank but never noticed such "buck teeth" on it before. I am hoping it is just because it is a different species of tang. I know this is kind of a funny post, but I dont want to take a chance of any fungus getting into my main display. So is it braces or Melafix I need for this guy?

Yes, they have teeth. Either way take a pic. Often these infections can progress rapidly if not treated with nitrofurazone or other anti-bacterial medication...if that is the case.

If they are indeed teeth, which I think they are, then they are very prominent. If it wasnt for the mouth fungus it definitely had 5-weeks ago when I first got it, I wouldn't even be posting now. These pictures were the best I could do. I either need a new camera or photography lessons.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 152
They look to be teeth. You will definitely know an infection has taken place because the mouth will look raw and oftentimes red. Looks good, keep up the nori additions ;) Oh, and very natural pvc, marshall islands? XD :p

Back
Top Bottom