Found Oceanic sea salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I had read about it and I know some have switched to this but it was never in my area. A petsmart opened up in the area and they sell 90 gal containers for $30. This is a bit more expensive than IO at $45 for 160 gal. Are they gouging me?

I have read that Oceanic has a better CA reading right out of the container. I am hoping that with this salt that I won't have to dose kalk until I get more SPS's. I assume the Alk is in line with the CA?

Anyone here try oceanic and switch back? I know there is some negative posts over on RC and the LFS around here recommend IO or red sea.

Can I just mix some of this up with some IO mixed water I already have? I normally do 5-6 gal water changes each week due to cyano. Would this be too much to start or should I try half that on my 75 gal?

Thanks

Oceanic salt;

I have been using oceanic salt for two months now,seems to mix faster and the water is a little clearer than instant ocean. IMO.

If you're switching, don't mix the two salts.. just do your regular water changes using the new salt. And test levels regularly.

elliz
I buy my salt at Petsmart all the time...heres a hint that your store may let you do...depends on the store. If you will go to the Petsmart website and find the salt, print the page off including the pic and price and the store will honor the online price. Again depends on the store...for example in the store I can buy the 50 LBs for $19.99 and the price on the internet is $9.99...big savings.

They don't list oceanic on their website. I see the 50lb bag of IO is 9.99.

That is a decent deal on IO though.

Great stuff, I switched about 3 months ago. It mixes very nice and the container beats those bags.

I have been buying the 160 gal IO buckets. I use them all the time for water changes. Most are around 5-6 gal. I have about 5 of them :)

I just wish I could get the oceanic in something larger than 90 gal. I guess I can't complain too much. I wish it was cheaper too ...

I was told by an independent store that that there the same salt ,I've been using the instant ocean for about two years now, never had a problem ,I did at one time research salts and the bottom line I came up with is some are better then others in some ways but worse then others in other ways , just find one that works well for you and stick with it ,don't let price be the deciding factor in which salt to use, its not worth the problems down the road

If you have sensitive coral and especially SPS or clams, I would not suggest your regular routine. Coral bleaching and RTN have been linked to switching salts quite often. I would do ½ the amount of your normal weekly water changes for the first while until your animals have had time to adjust to the chemistry of the new salt. Too much too fast can lead to disaster.

Cheers
Steve

I would not think my corals are too sensitive but better safe than sorry. I would rather keep my old schedule of once a month water changes but alas the cyano just won't quit. I am week 3 of my light acclimation so this won't be a biggee :)

I have some IO left so I might just use it up.

Back
Top Bottom